Elk bugles

wasgas

What calls have you used for elk bugles? I am looking for something on the smaller side, any ideas would be appreciated.

Primos pack bugle, small and with the blue reed you just need to learn to apply pressure with your lip as you blow into the tube. You can make all sorts of sounds with a reed call but it takes more practice. Don't over call. This year I slept out in the woods and all the "bugles" started 20 minutes before sunrise and they were all on roads. Made the "real" bugles shut up and go to bed.

I like the larger primos bugle. Doubles as a cow call and I can make any call I want with them.

Elk are the poorest bugelers. Ive heard every variation I can think of. Ithink a lot of hunters worry too much about how they sound. Elk make a lot of strange noises.

I like the larger primos bugle. Doubles as a cow call and I can make any call I want with them.

Elk are the poorest bugelers. Ive heard every variation I can think of. Ithink a lot of hunters worry too much about how they sound. Elk make a lot of strange noises.

I'm definitely one of them. :D In the early 1990's, I had this old VHS video of an elk hunt and the guy (can't remember the name or the bugle) but swears success of his bugling technique. Anyways, it's a nice bugle followed by a series of chuckles. I tried it but I get winded by the end, in short, I suck at it ... so I stayed with cow calls instead. :rolleyes:

You're right about the different and strange noises they make. Afield it's hard to tell if a hunter or bull elk is bugling. I really need to re-engage and re-learn how to bugle. :cool:

I have a small primos bugle tube. Not sure what it's called. It drives the bigger bulls crazy because it sounds like a little bull. Great bugle.

So true. I remember a few years ago I was bugling just bouncing the high-pitch note on my mouth reed so a buddy could locate us after we had shot a bull. We were standing over the dead elk, and my buddy, over the walkie talkie, kept telling me to bugle more so he could tell exactly which direction to come from. So for a bout a full minute I just sat there and hit the high-pitch on my reed. Before my buddy every found us, a bull came right in on us ready for a fight. I still had not filled my tag and was so surprised my rifle was not even chambered. Still can't believe the sounds that I was making actually called in a bull.

And to clarify, I only use mouth reeds. I use that primos pack bugle tube that somebody mentioned as it folds up nice and small. I just remove the little blue reed part. I like how the mouth reeds are so small and quick to use. You can hold it in your teeth and then use it without any hands. Especially helpful archery hunting when you want to keep your release knocked to your d-loop and you don't have any free hands.

Any of the bugles will work as long as you know when to and not to use them. Be careful with any of the primos mouth cow calls and especially the hyperlip. It sounds great but they will not work when wet (rain or saliva from working on a bull for a while).

The Primos hyperlip and other calls will tend to not work if water or saliva get between the reed and call, simple solution is to just wipe it off and get back to calling. Those and my mouth reeds are all I use. Usually if I bugle it is to locate a bull and then quietly work in on him and have him come to the cow calls.

So true. I remember a few years ago I was bugling just bouncing the high-pitch note on my mouth reed so a buddy could locate us after we had shot a bull. We were standing over the dead elk, and my buddy, over the walkie talkie, kept telling me to bugle more so he could tell exactly which direction to come from. So for a bout a full minute I just sat there and hit the high-pitch on my reed. Before my buddy every found us, a bull came right in on us ready for a fight. I still had not filled my tag and was so surprised my rifle was not even chambered. Still can't believe the sounds that I was making actually called in a bull.

In the rut, just like us men, elk lose their mind. They yell, chuckle, scream, grunt, bellow, wimper and cry. Seems like any sound similar to a bull you make can do it.

The Primos hyperlip and other calls will tend to not work if water or saliva get between the reed and call, simple solution is to just wipe it off and get back to calling. Those and my mouth reeds are all I use. Usually if I bugle it is to locate a bull and then quietly work in on him and have him come to the cow calls.

Exactly. And I love the reeds. I can make any cow sound I want, quiet or loud.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.