Elk bugle calls

Recon$$

I'm new to elk hunting, drew a Gila mountains archery tag in September. Looking to order a call and Reed and get to practicing as I am running out of time. What would you guys recommend that are experienced callers.

Thx

I have tried many - I find that the ELK Power bugle is the easiest and most reliable to use.

I have guided elk hunters for many years - you might want to know that you do not need to be a great caller - it is more about when to call/not call versus the sound you make. I had a friend open his truck door and throw up - and a bull elk answered the sound - ha ha.

Personally, I hardly ever call anymore... and if I do, it is to coax them in with a quiet cow call. When you bugle, you are competition for the other bulls in the area - and yes, they may answer, but it is very hard to get close to them. Better to know where they are moving and treestand hunt in my opinion/experience - I find a good spot (e.g., natural funnel) - and will sit there every morning and evening for as long as it takes (over the years, it has taken me from 3-38 sitting sessions to get a bull - average about 15)- This approach takes a ton of patience and is not for everyone, but it works every year for me.

Get yourself a Primos Cow Girl and call it a day. Occasional bugle for locating only. The Cow Girl will be your best friend

I've called in a few bulls with a hoochie momma, the sceery calls sound great but the reeds will stick at the most inopportune times. Get a mouth call like turkey hunting style with a little practice you'll be ready, I like the smaller ones with a piece of material over the reed to keep it off the roof of your mouth. (Primos) Bugle before daylight and after dark to locate then cow call the rest of the time unless you get on that 1 in 100 bull that will come running to a bugle.

The Power Bugle is very easy to learn. Add a cow call like Hoochie Mama (squeeze to) or a Carlton cow call, and you will be set. Above all, be clean with a neutral scent and try to hunt into the wind. Elk have a phenomenal sense of smell and also excellent pin point hearing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.