New Elk guy looking for calls opinion

d_wit22

Looking to buy my first set of elk calls. You guys have way more knowledge than me, so what would you recommend if you were starting out. I need to start practicing with them to get ready for next year

I have 2.... a bugle and a cow call.... never been lucky enough to hunt the rut... so I use a cow call alot... it works....

I guess it depends when you're going to hunt. If you're bow/ML I run with multiple cow calls and bugle tube. I need my hands to be motionless with a nocked arrow at times so I favor diaphragm calls at the crux moment bow hunting. The mellow momma diaphragm is pretty forgiving for cow calling but I prefer other diaphragm calls if I'm mixing bugles in the mix with my cow calls. You can do a lot of tone changes and different calls with a diaphragm but it becomes more difficult when I'm stressed and in so tight I can't afford to screw up. That tension that wells up in my neck seems to effect my tongue sometimes.

If I'm unlucky enough not to have an archery tag and I'm stuck rifle hunting I never bring a bugle tube. Although I've heard plenty of bugles after 4th rifle, I've only heard a few locator bugles during 4th rifle. I generally will bring a diaphragm that I can cow call with or bugle. If I need a tube I'll roll up my map, but truth be told I just don't need to call during rifle season and most the elk aren't talking. Funny how they know hunting season is over.

Now there are a couple reed calls I really like for their nasal tone, but I need to use my hands with them so that's a consideration. One is a wood body cow call I've had since the 90s. It says "Woodwise, Franklin TN" on the call. The other is the Primos Hyper Lip.

Now for full disclosure. I'm not out there calling much at all. Even during archery season I prefer to slip into the mix and let the real elk do the calling then have elk hunting me as the lone caller. I have experienced first hand leaving a set only to find elk **** 30 meters away where I was obviously being watched and probably laughed at. I also don't like calling in hunters.

If you want a basic cow call, the hoochie mama push call is easy to use and works.

I carry one along with using a mouth reed and you can sound like multiple elk.

For mouth reeds, I would recommend a variety pack. I like Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls. Whatever brand you choose, there may be a little trial and error to find the right size.

For me:
Phelps diaphragm calls for hands free calling/close range with a bow
Steve chapel external reed cow call for longer range or louder cow calls (if I'm calling for a buddy)
Small Phelps bugle tube for easy packing around combined with a diaphragm.

Also check out Chris Roe online elk calling class. Costs like $30 but totally worth it.

If you're new and presumably hunting OTC, I'd leave the bugle at home. bring a cow cow mouth reed and use sparingly.

i would learn to use the diaphragm call. You get a CD and while driving somewhere, you can practises with it. I use them during Bow and Rifle season. I walk and talk with them in my mouth. It leavse you hand free. Nobody in your car going to work you can learn to use the Diaphragm call without having people complain about it.

I have used many different calls mentioned here, but my most used is a Primos (white) diaphragm call, buy a few and wear them out. They need a little breaking in in my experience so use them a bit before heading into woods. Hands free is very important for stopping a bull when at full draw. I have even bugled-a horrible sounding bugle mind you right when my arrow hit and had bulls stop after hit walking a very short distance and bed down. I carry a empty tube and use it with the reed for normal bugeling. You can make "growls" and various grunts easier with a reed as well.

Primos is what I use. Once you get on to how to use them it's easy. I also use them to mask my movement in the forest. Got to keep the wind to your face. Otherwise they will smell you. If there two of you or more you can of sound like herd moving along. Elk are quitest moving or walking. I would play a game with myself. Moving in the forest, I would only move no more than about 25' at a time. Stop and look. If I broke a stick, even the next step, I would stop for a minutes or so. Then go on a few yards and stop again. It works too.

Couldn't leave home without my diaphram calls, use em for all elk talk, but i must confess i do carry one handheld cow call that has been crazy effective once you get the hang of it..the primos hyper lip single... nasally and deadly period.