Elk and deer and a humble .308

Topshot I couldn't agree with your thinking more. The .338 was PERFECT in the black bear I shot. And to the credit of the late Ian McMurchy I fired at the heavy shoulder knuckle of the bear under his advice. The effects were dramatic and very rapid. When the elk were hit in the lungs the effects were sluggish at best.

As for the .308 I have chosen the Berger 30 cal 175 gr hunting VLD which should be very disruptive on soft internal organs and should shatter shoulder blades and the spinal column if I follow the recommendation of Mr Berger himself and keep the impact velocity at /or above 1800 feet per sec.

As a side note: We are taking a page out of the old long range hunting book and this year we are loading the .338 with the 250 Sierra Match King instead of the 250 Game King. Something a little more frangible yet accurate enough to lace the aorta at an appreciable distance. (I wish Berger was making a variety of .338 cal hunting bullets to try.)

A good shot is A good shot but. A 308 win is a great round, and most anything short of the moose it will kill with a well placed shot. 400 yds is fine but keep it within 350 yds to make sure on elk. I say this because conditions change when a game animal is in your sights. Be a smart hunter and know your shot will be a clean kill. Happy hunting.gun)

I'd question whether the Berger 168 has either the toughness or sectional density for a large elk. I would much prefer a SMK, Accubond, or Partition. I would want at least a 175 SMK and then everything would depend on my belief that I could make a shot that would miss the heavy shoulder bones.

A 308 is fine as long as you stay within the range and bullet construction limits of the cartridge

Murphy's Law always applies when one relies on optimism rather than reality.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.