308 hunting bullet for Oryx and Elk

Vidar

What is the best bullet for breaking through an Elk shoulder, in 308?

I have an Oryx hunt in January at White Sands in NM, and apparently when you shoot an Oryx you have to shoot through the shoulder to hit the vitals.

I have been seaching the web, but I havent found much.

I have found that that people in Africa(where oryx come from) shoot Oryx and other large venison or gemsbock with .308's all the time.

Thanks

You have quite a few good options, 168 and 180 Barnes tipped triple shock lots like them but they are my least favorite but they will bust bones, a 150, 165, or 180 accubond. Or partition would work, 165 or 180 Hornady SST interlock, and the 165 and 180 Swift SCII's, all of these are bonded except the Barnes they are monometal and they'll all get the job done.

Thanks backwoods!
I will try the Accubonds and the SST's first(I have a few of both)
I dont suppose I could get a suggested load data from you???

Thanks for the reply!

Hopefully i can post pictures in January!!

In winchester fire formed cases, neck size only I use 47grns of varget, Imr 4064 makes a good subsitute at the same charge weight, under the 165 accubonds, and 45.5grns under the 180s both .030" off the lands which is 2.845" oal in my rifle. Id start a grain and a half low and work up or 2grns if its new full length sized brass, the 168 noslers have shot a .378" 5 shot group at 100 yards and 1.198" 5 shot at 300yrds. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.