ELD-X weight sorting

Methow Packer

Decided to check some 270 cal 145 grain ELD-X bullets for weights. Oh my! Variances from 144.2 to 145.3. Only sorted through fifteen or so. No wonder I'd get a flyer trying to tighten my groups up. I'd have two touching and the third was an inch or more away. I said self? I didn't flinch or move especially that much.!! These were 1/2 MOA loads on other occasions.

Decided to check some 270 cal 145 grain ELD-X bullets for weights. Oh my! Variances from 144.2 to 145.3. Only sorted through fifteen or so. No wonder I'd get a flyer trying to tighten my groups up. I'd have two touching and the third was an inch or more away. I said self? I didn't flinch or move especially that much.!! These were 1/2 MOA loads on other occasions.
Weight will actually make very little difference! Base to ogive is what you need to check to tighten groups.
A grain difference in weight with the same b c can not even be measured at 1000 yards. Hope this helps.

Agreed. I don't check bullet weight anymore all I check is base to ogive. In a 270 hunting rig or tactical rig for that matter you are not going to see a difference in groups or drops with that variance in weight. However, throw a base to ogive difference in of .010 and that is a elk of a different color!

Agreed. I don't check bullet weight anymore all I check is base to ogive. In a 270 hunting rig or tactical rig for that matter you are not going to see a difference in groups or drops with that variance in weight. However, throw a base to ogive difference in of .010 and that is a elk of a different color!
Got it. Thanks guys. I'll not blame the bullet weight anymore

I have noticed with Hornady bullets in the same box they will be a few culls because of base to ogive variances but there is huge variance when switching to a new lot number of bullets. I have seen as much as .015 from one lot to another lot. That makes a huge difference if you have found that perfect seating depth or if you were really close to lands with old lot.

I just got off the phone with a client who has some 285 eldm that vary over .003" (in diameter):eek::eek:
I told him to contact Hornady. They need to know!
Not .0003" but .003" just in case you think misprint

I just got off the phone with a client who has some 285 eldm that vary over .003" (in diameter):eek::eek:
I told him to contact Hornady. They need to know!
Not .0003" but .003" just in case you think misprint
That is insane. When the get sued cause someone had a .003 under diameter bullet loaded into a case with .002 neck tension and mag feed and jammed bullet in case and gernaded a rifle maybe they will pay a little more attention I guess. I mean if they are some over .003 I am sure there are some .003 under.

That is insane. When the get sued cause someone had a .003 under diameter bullet loaded into a case with .002 neck tension and mag feed and jammed bullet in case and gernaded a rifle maybe they will pay a little more attention I guess. I mean if they are some over .003 I am sure there are some .003 under.
Im only reporting what I was told but he said they ranged from 336+ to 339+

I got a lot of 195 EOLs from Berger and they were all .285. Called and they were going to send me 2 boxes to replace them but never received them. Stuff happens during manufacturing but the CS disappointed me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.