ELD-X consistency

MTLIVIN

I've read about and experienced inconsistency issues with the ELD-X bullets. I played with the 6.5mm 143 grain in my 6.5x284 Shillen Match barrel when they were first released and I gave up on them eventually and shot the 140 ELD-M instead. I just couldn't consistently get good groups w the ELD-X, tried all sorts of loads and seating depths and many I talked to had the same issues. With the 140 & 147 ELD-M and 140 Bergers that rifle shoots 0.5 MOA all day and isn't even picky.

Has anyone found that the recently manufactured ELD-X bullets are more consistent? I'd like to try them in some other rifles, it seems a lot of people get good groups w them.

I've read about and experienced inconsistency issues with the ELD-X bullets. I played with the 6.5mm 143 grain in my 6.5x284 Shillen Match barrel when they were first released and I gave up on them eventually and shot the 140 ELD-M instead. I just couldn't consistently get good groups w the ELD-X, tried all sorts of loads and seating depths and many I talked to had the same issues. With the 140 & 147 ELD-M and 140 Bergers that rifle shoots 0.5 MOA all day and isn't even picky.

Has anyone found that the recently manufactured ELD-X bullets are more consistent? I'd like to try them in some other rifles, it seems a lot of people get good groups w them.
The early ones had a lot of variation even in diameter but I think that has been corrected.

If its shooting that good then why switch.

I bought a Tikka T3X 6.5 Creedmore Im looking to start loading for, and I wouldn't mind trying them in the 270 WSM either. I had excellent results on game this fall with the 140 ELD-M but had 1 antelope last fall that the bullet seemed to not open very much. I guess I keep hearing of inconsistent results with the ELD-M, and with elk on the menu pretty much everywhere I hunt a little tougher bullet makes me feel better at least.

The early ones had a lot of variation even in diameter but I think that has been corrected.
That's what I was hearing as well, I have about 100 early 143 ELD-Xs left and cant get myself to load them up. Is there any truth to this that someone can backup?

It is luck of the draw, I think that Hornady is putting two production lines into one box. That is the advantage I see of going to the new atip, the entire box came from one set of dies on one production line.
I posted some results of bullet sorting a month or two back dont have the results infront of me. But it seems like the bullets when sorted by length or weight give two groups of sizes. Berger is the only manf that I see a box is very consistent around one mid point. Well except for the machined copper bullets.

I recently started trying some load development with the 162 ELD X. I have a Forestor Microseater and I found that with the ELD X I am constantly adjusting the Seating to get my CBTO measurements to be the same. I had the same issues before using the normal RCBS seating die. Am I the only one that has had this sort of issue?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.