eBay Calipers

Hikinghunter

Noticed e-bay has mitutoyo 500-196-30 calipers for $50 or so from a bunch of different sellers. Trying to figure out why. Are they knock-offs, or is it a discontinued model or something?

Last edited:
If you're looking for a recommendation I don't think you can get better, I've had my Mitutoyo calipers for well over 25 years and they're still working for me, so I think the extra expense over the life of there use is worth it.

How'd the harbor freight ones work for you? Wouldn't expect build quality, but were they at least accurate +\- a thou?
We use all Mitutoyo and Starrett measuring tools for our GS shop and Reloading.
Picked up a "Quinn" from HF with some HF Money and a discount so the $50 was almost free. I use the Quinn in our Garage for Tractor & Auto use and it measures the same as our Mitutoyo Caliper 500-196-30. Guess we got lucky, but it works fine.

HEY DARRYLE

T.P.
"But the hallmark of Starrett quality and innovation is rooted in America. And so it is today, where the lion's share of Starrett tools are manufactured."

to be fair the calipers could be usa made, i dont have any. but if they are chinesium, they probably either say china or DONT say usa on them. or something sneaky like, "assembled in US"