eBay Calipers

All I can tell you is what transpired when I had our tooling engineer order a set of mics. I bitched about how long it was taking to receive them and the hang up was killing a QIR project. His response was verbatim what I said, the mics were not acceptable, would not pass calibration and then he elaborated about them being made overseas. He ordered a set of Mitutoyo and I had them in hand in just a few days with a calibration sticker and certificate.

LS Starrett Acquisition

There is a video on another forum I saw when I went looking for info.

And as far as the Mitutoyo they are listed as
Country of Origin - Multiple.
Exactly which countries ? I bet they have some Chines parts also.
someone posted spoting a fake mitutoyo vid before. i thought the legit ones are stamped "made in japan"

Starrett has gone to overseas manufacturing, I don't know when it happened, I just know it happened. My last set of brand new Starrett 4 - 5" micrometers would not pass calibration at work, they have since switched to purchasing Mitutoyo.
It was the 80s or 90s. They've been making their lower end tools in China since they were introduced. Most of their tools are still made in the US.

that link is for a zoomed out picture
I thought I fixed that. Sorry. But its the same link as the Mitutoyo. Just search their site for calipers. And under description it tells you where they are made. Some of the Mitutoyo tools do say Japan. But not their calipers. There are some Chines knockoffs out there. But they are easy to spot if you know what to look for. Price is the biggest giveaway. These companies have had to get smarter when selling their products. I'm sure they have ways to get around the made in China with fancy wording such as Starrett. If you search the Zoro site. You will see the Mitutoyo dial indicator does say made in Japan. Not MULTIPLE. I'm not saying their calipers are junk. But I do believe they have a few parts in them that are made in other countries. Which countries, is for us to guess. I have also noticed they have some calipers that do say made in Japan. What the difference is I have no idea. It sure is quite confusing because I don't see much of a difference in price. https://www.zoro.com/starrett-electronic-digital-caliper-0-to-6-in-ec799a-6150/i/G1697324/

Last edited:
I thought I fixed that. Sorry. But its the same link as the Mitutoyo. Just search their site for calipers. And under description it tells you where they are made. Some of the Mitutoyo tools do say Japan. But not their calipers. There are some Chines knockoffs out there. But they are easy to spot if you know what to look for. Price is the biggest giveaway. These companies have had to get smarter when selling their products. I'm sure they have ways to get around the made in China with fancy wording such as Starrett. If you search the Zoro site. You will see the Mitutoyo dial indicator does say made in Japan. Not MULTIPLE. I'm not saying their calipers are junk. But I do believe they have a few parts in them that are made in other countries. Which countries, is for us to guess. https://www.zoro.com/starrett-electronic-digital-caliper-0-to-6-in-ec799a-6150/i/G1697324/
there it is

they do say "made in japan" on the backside

there it is

they do say "made in japan" on the backside

I saw this video before. And I believe the difference on some of these Mitutoyo is some have a certificate & some don't. From the site I referenced. As far as Ebay calipers. I would not chance it. I would want the certificate you can trace to NIST.

To answer the questions.

I love the Brown & Sharpe calipers!
Really liking the dial calipers over the digital.

The Harbor Freight calipers worked. They were fine with calibration on the standards.
Problem I had with the digital calipers was the humidity in my basement where my reloading setup is.
At least before we got the dehumidifier.
But with the dial calipers I don't have to worry about moisture or batteries.