Downloading ammo rarely mentioned in choice of rifle or calibers etc.

preventec47

Several years ago I had rotator cuff surgery and I down loaded my 7mm Rem Mag to possibly 6mm or 6.5 performance with the use of
110gr Barnes bullets. This has given me a new found understanding of versatility .... of course any cartridge can be downloaded but what is
unique is I think my downloaded 7mm Rem Mag ammo was cheaper than 243 or 30-30 or 6,5 ammo yet I could at anytime just pop a full power
cartridge in it and it passes the entry point of real powerhouse ammo. I dont know what the absolute effect on accuracy downloading has
but for my needs the ammo worked flawlessly. I believe the loading data was 110gr at 2600 fps

I believe downloading should be considered more often in the choice of rifles and cartridges as you can always load down but you can never
load up unless your reference is the downloaded state. The big thing for me is the cost of components.
If you start with a bigger than you need cartridge, then it HAS to be a popular one with cheap components and I dont think anything beats
the 7mm Mag in that regard.

I ran some numbers on your reduced load in the 7 RM and found a solution for your shoulder issue,

Your rifle should have around 15 ft/lbs of recoil with this load.
If you wanted to shoot heavier bullets (140 grain @ 3100 it would be 26.2 ft/lbs.
A good muzzle brake would reduce it to 18.2 ft/lbs recoil with the 140 grain load (3 ft/lbs more recoil than the reduced load.

So if you want to hunt with a heavier bullet, you can do it with almost the same recoil and 130 or 140 grain bullets @ 3100 ft/sec if you use a good muzzle brake.

Just something to think about.

J E CUSTOM

I've been running blue dot in various rifles over the years for reduced loads. In the 243 70 grain blitzkings at 2400fps and near silent without a can is great for song dogs and fox if you don't hit bone. In the 06 110-125's at 2350 similar recoil and sound reductions accurate and a way to carry the deer rifle for winter dogging.
A brake though does more if your hunting deer and up game without a chance of a ethical situation arising due to a reduced load.

I have down loaded many rifles. My two favourite powders for doing that are 4895 and Trail Boss. For really reduced loads Trail Boss produces what the old pistol powder loads did without the danger of getting a double load that will blow the gun. For less kick, the 4895 down load instructions on the Hodgdon site are excellent.

One point, there are some cartridges that do not react well to being downloaded, 7 RUM and many of the Weatherby cartridges are just a couple of examples, but they are relatively rare. JE is also right about muzzle brakes, as long as the proper hearing protection is ALWAYS worn, they are a great way to lessen recoil.

In general I agree with the OP, a lot of the "what gun do I buy for my young son or daughter" threads could easily be solved by downloading a 308 or 30-06 that would later make a great rifle once they grow up, rather than buying a pea shooter for them to start out on.

Thought about recoil a lot after I lost most of the use of my right shoulder.
Shooting left handed is not an option (exept for bench and prairie dog shooting).
Putting a brake on works great....right up till you forget to put ear protection in/on!
Thought about loading down but with so many options in the safe its just easier to drop down in case capacity and or caibar. The 7 mag has been a great performer in the past but the 708 and sweede are not that far behind and much easier on the shoulder.
Time and experience has proven the little 6.5 Grendel to be effective,painless and just plain fun fot antelope and deer.... now for elk I believe biting the bullet and going bigger is required. The 30-06 is scudualed for threads on the end of the barrel for a brake AND suppressor.
Not to diminish you downloading idea but there are a lot of other options.

I've been a handloader for 53 years and have always advocated having "more than enough" cartridge whether handgun or rifle, then "downloading" for practice/plinking. I've fired far more lightloads in my 44 magnum than "magnum" loads. And while we don't shoot a lot of cast bullet loads through our hunting rifles, it sure makes affordable, pleasant shooting. memtb

Since everything I have ever read about reloading is pushing for max velocity, I wonder what reduction would be desirable to achieve what the OP is looking for. Would you want to drop by 30% or more? And wouldnt doing so leave way too much room in the case for comfort?

I downloaded my 270W to a 90gr load from 130gr & it shot like a ***** cat.
Turned it into a .243 but around 400fps faster 😈

Still a very capable fallow deer load & also smacks pigs & feral dogs like a laser.

Last edited:
OP, I am intrigued by your downloading the 7mag. Do you mind sharing your load recipe?
I have loaded lots of subsonic 308 rounds with Trailboss. Just never thought of downloading a magnum case to deliver results like you speak of. Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.