Eating Coyote

In Colorado mountain lion is considered a big game animal and by law you have to eat the meat, same with bear. Had some lion jerky that was outstanding and all my bears get made into sausage to make it edible. Coyote jerky..... Maybe

Never had dog meat. Well not that I know of. Bear meat now that was good. Tasted slightly like pork. But that could be do to how it was made.

The way they smell an hour after shooting them, I would have a very difficult time eating one!
Probably similar to Carp....they stink to high hell, but can be made edible I'm told....*I have never eaten carp or coyote, and don't intend to unless I'm on the brink of starvation*

I've been told, with enough beer or Tequila, you can make just about anything taste good, but again, I'll just take your word for it.... :D

The best way to do Carp is nail it to a cedar board, smoke it for about 4 hours then cool down. Peel the carp off the cedar board pitch the Carp and eat the cedar board. Best way know to Man to eat carp! ;)
I kept reading carp as crap and was slightly disturbed about smokec crap.

The meat was a dark red and looked really good. It did have something I have never seen before. Running length wise head to toe were stringers. Very thin white strings running parallel that reminded me of a very, very thin dental floss. I am sure that is what made the meat so tough. There was just no way to remove them and have any meat left. Looked like a great adaptation to strengthen the spinal column.

The meat was a dark red and looked really good. It did have something I have never seen before. Running length wise head to toe were stringers. Very thin white strings running parallel that reminded me of a very, very thin dental floss. I am sure that is what made the meat so tough. There was just no way to remove them and have any meat left. Looked like a great adaptation to strengthen the spinal column.
Nope. They were probably parasites in your medium rare wild dog steaks. Might want to go get some de-wormer next chance you have....ha ha
giphy.gif

Sauteed mountain lion is really good....if you put that on a plate versus chicken it would look so simular you wouldn't suspect
FOUL PLAY.....
Taxidermy shop I worked at got one in one afternoon...the bigger portions of the thighs are white meated....kid cooked it up as to the owners request...fooled the owners buddy into eating something he said he would never eat......that platter of meat disappeared....and I was looking for more....
If I remember correctly the state of Oregon only considers a portion of cougar as edible...

Well, I was hoping DR VETTE or some one with some biological training might jump in and say. Oh, yes that's the ligamentous extrimentous. Instead Cody jumps in and gets me wondering what the heck have I done. And then there's this thing about mountain lion. You boys go ahead. My dog said he wouldn't eat it.

Nothing wrong with eating non-traditional protein. Might want to bone up on on the 'ole food-borne illnesses associated with not fully cooking certain types of flesh from carrion eaters. I've read my share of stories of guys who smoked bear and mountain lion and didn't kill the parasites with a hot enough internal temperature of the meat. No, it wasn't just the squirts. Far more serious. Somehow the articles never really illustrate the true long-term suffering experienced by the "eater". Then again, the world is full of people who don't even look both ways before crossing a street so, is it really a tragedy when they're plowed down by a Mack truck?

Uhhh, if you don't know doodly about cooking, maybe you should get some advice from your grandma or anybody with some common sense.

Eating coyote... fine by me. Eating under-cooked coyote... hey... even coyotes won't eat that.

Your dog wouldn't eat it because he hasn't evolved to the TOP of the food chain.....:D
In all seriousness what Mike said is valid reguarding illness from food.... although after seeing a slaughter house I think most people would question their FDA approved meat. I saw a two headed cow once, well a cow with a tumor on the side of its head that was about as big as its head that went to slaughter. I'll take any HEALTHY wild game meat that I personally processed over the unknown at the grocery store.........except for maybe coyote!:eek: Cougar anyday, but coyote, thats just nasty.:p

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.