Hammered Coyote

Retired2021

I recently looked for posts on using Hammer bullets on coyotes. The reason is that I have a friend wanting a "fur friendly" bullet. Becasue of my experience with Hammer Bullets on deer and elk I thought they might be fur friendly. I am pretty poor at computer things and didn't find much in the line of folks using Hammer Bullets on coyotes. So I decieded to test it out myself.

I used 0.224 Hammer 44 HH in a Howa mini action with a 22 inch barrel. The load I devloped is
Nosler Brass
Primer CCI #41
VV N530 @ 26.7 gr
Hammer 44 HH in 0.224
COL 2.105 (center of the top groove)
FDC 1/4 turn
Velocity is 3580fps
This load works in my set up, but it needs to be approched cautiously. This load, according to Quick Loads, is 103% case fill and 56,690 psi at 40 degrees F.

The attached picture is a coyote I took with the above set up and shows the exit hole about the size of a quarter. The coyote was quartering to me and the bullet entered the point of the right shoulder. If this had been my Hornady 55 SP load, the exit hole would have been the whole left side.

We killed 5 coyotes with this load and none had sever fur damage. One was hit low in the chest, broadside and exited the off side front leg. There was a three inch tear in the hide, but not blown out like a varmet bullet does. 4 of the 5 coyotes were dead in their tracks (two were head shots, 3 were chest shots), the one hit low in the chest ran about 30 yards with a huge blood trail.

Attachments

• 20231110_073917.jpg
    20231110_073917.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 60
I recently looked for posts on using Hammer bullets on coyotes. The reason is that I have a friend wanting a "fur friendly" bullet. Becasue of my experience with Hammer Bullets on deer and elk I thought they might be fur friendly. I am pretty poor at computer things and didn't find much in the line of folks using Hammer Bullets on coyotes. So I decieded to test it out myself.

I used 0.224 Hammer 44 HH in a Howa mini action with a 22 inch barrel. The load I devloped is
Nosler Brass
Primer CCI #41
VV N530 @ 26.7 gr
Hammer 44 HH in 0.224
COL 2.105 (center of the top groove)
FDC 1/4 turn
Velocity is 3580fps
This load works in my set up, but it needs to be approched cautiously. This load, according to Quick Loads, is 103% case fill and 56,690 psi at 40 degrees F.

The attached picture is a coyote I took with the above set up and shows the exit hole about the size of a quarter. The coyote was quartering to me and the bullet entered the point of the right shoulder. If this had been my Hornady 55 SP load, the exit hole would have been the whole left side.

We killed 5 coyotes with this load and none had sever fur damage. One was hit low in the chest, broadside and exited the off side front leg. There was a three inch tear in the hide, but not blown out like a varmet bullet does. 4 of the 5 coyotes were dead in their tracks (two were head shots, 3 were chest shots), the one hit low in the chest ran about 30 yards with a huge blood trail.
Glad to hear that they are working well for you. I am running the 44's a little bit faster in my 223 but haven't tried them on yotes yet, only paper.

Recent Posts