Easter Dinner, Mt lion style!

Timberbeast7

On the subject of predators affecting hunting, check out these pics. These were taken on a trail cam set up by the Washington Dept. of Fish and Wildlife in NE WA state on one of our logging jobs. Wolves killed a cow elk just off one of our landings and they wanted to get pics of the wolves. They hauled a couple deer carcasses up there and set a camera over them. They didn't get any pics of the wolves but they did get these. I've never even heard of five lions, all looking well capable of being independent adults, on the same kill at the same time. Reminds me of a pride of African lions over a dead water buffalo.

LeClercFeed2.jpg

LeClercFeed.jpg

Happy Easter,

tb7

Wow that is incredible! Last early fall I was down around Sumpter Oregon and had a good look at 3 of those little kittys. The area has a few ranchers that have some pretty large herds of sheep. One rancher that I spoke with said he has takin at least one large cat per month.
They have been reaking havoc on his lambs!

The three I saw were problably 2-3 miles from the nearest herd. The biggest of the three had to weight 150 lbs plus, and all I had with my was my 20ga Ithaca, hunting the high country chukars early in the morning.
The next day I carried my STW and had my wife carry the 20ga. hehe

Crazy huh?

Everything I have ever read on mountain lions said that they were solitary animals with large 10+ mile territories and that they didnt usually cross territories. Well I believed that until last week. My roomy and I went to his families ranch in wyoming to clean up some coyotes and hopefully track some lions if we got fresh snow. Well we never got fresh snow so we could only check the snow drifts that were still around. We only found two sets of tracks all week that were alone... both of which we presumed to be big males. Every other track we found was either two or three sets together. We even got the dogs on cats two different days but the lack of snow made it very hard for them to keep the track. The first day we had them on a double and two days later had them on a triple. Makes you think if the people that write all this info on mountain lions really have a clue. The guy whom we hunted with that had the dogs told us he rarely finds a single set of tracks. What these animals can do to a herd population is devistating. We found a nice 160 class muley and a good young 5X5 bull elk killed with in 300 yards of each other with so many tracks around the both of them it would have been impossible to tell how many lions were coming to those two kill sites. It really opened my eyes and made me think twice about going out without a side arm.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts