Easiest barrel to sell

It wasn't meant as an insult man. I would gladly pay 400 for a Bartlein before paying shipping only on a factory take off. I have a lathe and can do the work myself, so there's no additional expense there for me. I just haven't been able to find the right profile and twist in stock anywhere. I'm not in a hurry and I like to tinker, so I said I would pay shipping tongue in cheek.

I was serious about the difficulty you are likely to find in selling a factory take off for 100-125, though.

Best of luck.
I just had a thought......you could go ahead and order a Shilen in whatever contour and twist you want. Their lead time is pretty quick and save yourself 100 bucks. And it would still be better than a factory barrel for a 6 year olds rifle....just a thought.

I just had a thought......you could go ahead and order a Shilen in whatever contour and twist you want. Their lead time is pretty quick and save yourself 100 bucks. And it would still be better than a factory barrel for a 6 year olds rifle....just a thought.
And an excellent thought at that. Shilen gets a bad rap sometimes, but I rebarreled an old 270win with one and it puts 130gr core lokt into clover leafs for just about anyone that pulls the trigger. I probably just got really lucky with that one though, but the thought has crossed my mind to try it on a 243 just to see what happens.

It wasn't luck. I never had a bad Shilen. If you can't get less than a half inch out of a Shilen, you're doing something wrong. The 1st 2 groups are from my 7-08. The 3rd is 3 consecutive groups from a sporter weight 722 in 222 Rem and the last is a 6mm Remington. I could show you a bunch more. All Shilens.
Edit...btw, those are all match grade, not the select match barrels.

Attachments

• 7mm-08 006.jpg
    7mm-08 006.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 7mm-08 020.jpg
    7mm-08 020.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 222 REMINGTON GROUPS 004.jpg
    222 REMINGTON GROUPS 004.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 19
  • 6mmRem1.jpg
    6mmRem1.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I'm in the market for a 700 ADL for the action. I can buy a whole rifle cheaper than the action. I have a choice of 3 calibers and am going to sell the new take off barrel. Which do you think would be the easiest sale.....

308 Win 1:10 twist
6.5 Creedmoor 1:8 twist
243 Win 1:9.125 twist

I wish you luck…..hopefully more luck than I had! 🙂

In '89 I bought a new Win. Model 70 in .300 Weatherby…..to use the action as a donor. The stock was very attractive, and rifle unfired……it seemed that I couldn't give it away! I think that I finally got $150 for the stock and barrel!

Of course a .300 Weatherby wasn't as popular as those cartridges you're considering! memtb

Another thing to consider if you get a new remarms ADL is the ramp is cut so that you could use binderless AICS mags.

When did this change happen? One of the things I hated about my old R700 action was that it wouldn't feed from AICS mags because I'd don't have any with binder plates.

When did this change happen? One of the things I hated about my old R700 action was that it wouldn't feed from AICS mags because I'd don't have any with binder plates.
I really cannot say exactly when. I do know the new remarms short actions are built this way. Here's a link to a thread where @cohunt confirmed it. https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/new-remington-700s.335733/#post-2864527

This one has a pic of the notched ramp

New take offs usually sell for around $50. Is $50 worth the headache to get it off the action, sell it, and then ship it? For me no way. Go to Pacific tool and gauge get a blueprinted 700 action for $700 and then start your project.

Pacific Tool & Gauge? 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
Do you mean the people who took 2 months to get me a copy of my reamer print and then sent the wrong one? Or, the people that verified a throater was on the shelf and ready to ship, then a month later wanted to grind one up for me and wait another 3 months, and then had an epiphany after I chewed on them, "Oh! Wait! We have one on the shelf!" and then took another 3 weeks to send it out? Besides, years ago I spent $3500 on one reamer order from them. I won't even get into all the problems and phone conversations I had. No way man......besides, getting a barrel off isn't that hard with the right equipment.

Last edited: