Easiest barrel to sell

I tell ya given the market I agree a 6.5 CM or 308 Win probably would be the easiet to sell. But the new ADLs in 243 Win come with a 1-8" twist. So for ME I'd be most interested in the 243 (1-8") and 308 win.

I would not waste the gunsmithing cost on using a tank off Remington barrel even if you gave it too me. I have several Remington take off barrels in my gun room now. You would be better off buying a better brand barrel, ie Bartlein, Benchmark, etc for a new project. I have had TOO many issues with Remington barrels, i.e. chamber not centered with bore when it was chambered.

I tell ya given the market I agree a 6.5 CM or 308 Win probably would be the easiet to sell. But the new ADLs in 243 Win come with a 1-8" twist. So for ME I'd be most interested in the 243 (1-8") and 308 win.
If it was an 8 twist, I'd keep it. The rifle must be old stock and is listed as a 9.13
Another thing to consider if you get a new remarms ADL is the ramp is cut so that you could use binderless AICS mags.
I'm going to true the action and it is going in a 3" benchrest stock. No mags needed, just a single shot follower.
I'm thinking about $100-$125 plus shipping. Seem reasonable?

OP, you're going to have a less than easy time selling take-off Remington barrels for $100-125 plus shipping. You might get half that, shipped, unless you know someone who just really needs a factory barrel already chambered and doesn't care if it's chambered straight or has good rifling. I'm not saying that to be a jerk, either. I've done what you're wanting to do- I believe I usually have sold the stock, internal blind magazine, spring, follower, trigger guard, barrel, and recoil lug for around $75 shipped. And it took a while to find a buyer. If it's stainless you'll find a buyer a bit faster.

That said, if you go .243 Win and can't find a buyer, I'll pay shipping for you to send it to me. My 6 year old could use it, and I already have a short action that I trued, as well as a trigger/stock/bottom metal/etc. I just haven't been able to find a 6mm Bartlein to throw into my lathe for a decent price yet...but that take off barrel could be chucked up and shortened to be his size and not cost much to do it. ;)

OP, you're going to have a less than easy time selling take-off Remington barrels for $100-125 plus shipping. You might get half that, shipped, unless you know someone who just really needs a factory barrel already chambered and doesn't care if it's chambered straight or has good rifling. I'm not saying that to be a jerk, either. I've done what you're wanting to do- I believe I usually have sold the stock, internal blind magazine, spring, follower, trigger guard, barrel, and recoil lug for around $75 shipped. And it took a while to find a buyer. If it's stainless you'll find a buyer a bit faster.

That said, if you go .243 Win and can't find a buyer, I'll pay shipping for you to send it to me. My 6 year old could use it, and I already have a short action that I trued, as well as a trigger/stock/bottom metal/etc. I just haven't been able to find a 6mm Bartlein to throw into my lathe for a decent price yet...but that take off barrel could be chucked up and shortened to be his size and not cost much to do it. ;)
Let me think this through.....bartlein sporter barrel with no chamber, threads or crown $412. Brand new never fired Remington barrel $100. A person on a budget that needs a new barrel or wants to change calibers.......me giving a brand-new barrel away vs offsetting my cost a tiny bit for a new rifle, benchrest stock, custom barrel, jewell trigger, base, rings, Nightforce scope, Lapua brass and benchrest dies, plus all the work that goes into a build. Oh! WAIT! I almost forgot custom benchrest bullets, powder and of course I'll need some of those cheap primers that we find everywhere these days.😏 I'll keep it in mind. 😁 Or I could just put the factory barrel in the cabinet with the Shilen's and Kreiger's to keep them company and for future dust settlement testing. 🤣

Last edited:
I'm in the market for a 700 ADL for the action. I can buy a whole rifle cheaper than the action. I have a choice of 3 calibers and am going to sell the new take off barrel. Which do you think would be the easiest sale.....

308 Win 1:10 twist
6.5 Creedmoor 1:8 twist
243 Win 1:9.125 twist
Even new take off barrels are a tough sell. They make good drawbar pins with a band saw, washer and welder. Also make good jack handles and steel drifts. Good luck selling them!

Let me think this through.....bartlein sporter barrel with no chamber, threads or crown $412. Brand new never fired Remington barrel $100. A person on a budget that needs a new barrel or wants to change calibers.......me giving a brand-new barrel away vs offsetting my cost a tiny bit for a new rifle, benchrest stock, custom barrel, jewell trigger, base, rings, Nightforce scope, Lapua brass and benchrest dies, plus all the work that goes into a build. Oh! WAIT! I almost forgot custom benchrest bullets, powder and of course I'll need some of those cheap primers that we find everywhere these days.😏 I'll keep it in mind. 😁 Or I could just put the factory barrel in the cabinet with the Shilen's and Kreiger's to keep them company and for future dust settlement testing. 🤣
It wasn't meant as an insult man. I would gladly pay 400 for a Bartlein before paying shipping only on a factory take off. I have a lathe and can do the work myself, so there's no additional expense there for me. I just haven't been able to find the right profile and twist in stock anywhere. I'm not in a hurry and I like to tinker, so I said I would pay shipping tongue in cheek.

I was serious about the difficulty you are likely to find in selling a factory take off for 100-125, though.

Best of luck.

It wasn't meant as an insult man. I would gladly pay 400 for a Bartlein before paying shipping only on a factory take off. I have a lathe and can do the work myself, so there's no additional expense there for me. I just haven't been able to find the right profile and twist in stock anywhere. I'm not in a hurry and I like to tinker, so I said I would pay shipping tongue in cheek.

I was serious about the difficulty you are likely to find in selling a factory take off for 100-125, though.

Best of luck.
Just messin' with you back...don't get your panties all in a knot. ;)