Ease my mind leupold Mark 6 purchase

TDog78

I am looking for my first Upper tier (to me) scope for my upcoming adventures into longer range shooting. I have a collection of Zeiss conquest, VX3, etc but nothing other than a cheap Bushy with external adjustments. The Mark 6 hits all the marks for me in size/weight, scores well with most in optical quality, has a good warranty and HAS LOCKING TURRETS. I feel this is a feature I really want as a good hunting buddy who is an accomplished hunter and great shot missed a lifetime bull to a turret spinning in the scabbard on a mark 4 recently. I can get the Mark 6 for about 1750 right now which is right about the max my poor arse can spend. I cannot really afford to do this twice but am really worried on what I read as far as quality being hit or miss on them especially in regards to tracking etc. Most negative comments I have read are over at snipers hide. I was going to get the C2 turret and hear it is less of an issue but it is hard to sort through the crap posted on the inter webs. I wish the Burris XTRII had some type of way to secure the turrets because I would pick it up in a second and save some cash. Opinions from those in the know? Thanks

Optics are expensive and not readily available to handle, and that's always stressful.

Added to the stress is the crowing of others either preferring something else, or that have never seen or handled what your looking at.

Such as me, I know nothing of the scope you bought. I do know the stress of ordering high dollar equipment, so that's all I'm talking about.

I believe you will like what you've got when it's here. Forget comparisons to other equipment, and focus on learning all you can on the scope you've bought.

The Mark 4's have been good to me, the VX-6's as well, the Mark 6 will be good for you, and if there are issues use the Leupold Warranty and send it back.

Your going to be fine.

Good Luck!

I think you'll be happy with it, I usually think too much into things before I buy but when I order a high end scope I'm usually impressed when it shows up. I'm not sure of your max range but if locking turrets is your number one concern (it's important to me too) there are a few other options. I just ordered a vx6hd for my brother, they have a two rotation zerostop set up with a locking button on the turrets. I think it's 38 minutes travel with the Zerostop if I remember right. It'll be here Thursday, I can report an opinion after I've handled it if it helps. Also, I have a conquest hd5 with the locking turrets, only 17 minute travel with the zerostop installed but those locking turrets are nice! I like them anyway and they can be had for a fair price, I think the glass in them is underrated too for what it's worth. Good luck with your decision.

I think you'll be happy with it, I usually think too much into things before I buy but when I order a high end scope I'm usually impressed when it shows up. I'm not sure of your max range but if locking turrets is your number one concern (it's important to me too) there are a few other options. I just ordered a vx6hd for my brother, they have a two rotation zerostop set up with a locking button on the turrets. I think it's 38 minutes travel with the Zerostop if I remember right. It'll be here Thursday, I can report an opinion after I've handled it if it helps. Also, I have a conquest hd5 with the locking turrets, only 17 minute travel with the zerostop installed but those locking turrets are nice! I like them anyway and they can be had for a fair price, I think the glass in them is underrated too for what it's worth. Good luck with your decision.

Realistically at this point I would consider 700 yards max with very good conditions and setup etc...I should have clarified I have not purchased the Leopold yet. Yes I am eager to hear back and what you think on the VX6HD as I am always open to options up until purchase. Thanks

Optics are expensive and not readily available to handle, and that's always stressful.

Added to the stress is the crowing of others either preferring something else, or that have never seen or handled what your looking at.

Such as me, I know nothing of the scope you bought. I do know the stress of ordering high dollar equipment, so that's all I'm talking about.

I believe you will like what you've got when it's here. Forget comparisons to other equipment, and focus on learning all you can on the scope you've bought.

The Mark 4's have been good to me, the VX-6's as well, the Mark 6 will be good for you, and if there are issues use the Leupold Warranty and send it back.

Your going to be fine.

Good Luck!
I should have been more clear in that I do NOT have one on order yet.

I can't comment on the Mark 6 but I do have 3 VX-6's. Right now because of the new VX-6 HD's coming out you can find used one's for very reasonable prices.
I really like these scopes, optically they are some of the best I have looked thru especially for the money. [I have been able to compare them to 4 other high end brands some of them 2x and 3x as expensive]
I personally feel there is a ton of hype when comparing high end glass. I feel the differences in most aspects of quality are so minute that the only guys that can really appreciate the differences are using them just about every day.I also found that some guys that are overly vocal about how great their favorite high end brands are and are just trying to justify spending the money.
I have also found everyones eyes are different example. I have read multiple times that guys have sat down and done side by side comparisons on brands A and B first guy swears by brand A the next guy swears brand B is better.
I guess my point is that one really needs to take just about everything you read on a forum with a grain of salt.
As for quality every brand will have its issues no Exceptions!!
Most manufactures have great warranties I personally do a lot of research on how companies handle warranty issues and let that be a big factor in my decision on what to buy.
I really think you will be quite happy with the Leupold. I have only had to send one of mine back it was an old vx3 that I had bought used They fixed it no questions asked and I had it back in less then 2 weeks.

I know you mentioned you want locking turrets, but if the cost is another concern, have you thought of another brand? You can get a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5x25 - 50mm in FFP for around 1099.00, it will not have locking turrets though and the glass is good, also has a lifetime warranty. I have the first Gen PST and like it, I have not owned a Leupold, so I cannot compare I thought I would mention it since you did list 1750.00 cost was at the upper limit. If you have a Cabela's close by, you may find out if they have any Leupold and other brands onsite to compare before purchasing. Just a thought.

Leupold will take care of you if there is an issue. They have very good customer service.

I have a mk 6 that I like very much. It is going to leupold to get the stupid B style elevation turret changed for a low profile C style.

Glass is great, reticle is great too. Weight and size are perfect for what I use it for. It can be nitpicked if you try, but its a good scope. I prefer nightforce and US optics really, but they are usually much bulkier and generally heavier.

I have never had tracking issues, but I generally just use the reticle. If it does not track right send it to leupold and have them fix it. Should be fine!

I think you will like it, but Vortex makes some good stuff for the price too.

I know you mentioned you want locking turrets, but if the cost is another concern, have you thought of another brand? You can get a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5x25 - 50mm in FFP for around 1099.00, it will not have locking turrets though and the glass is good, also has a lifetime warranty. I have the first Gen PST and like it, I have not owned a Leupold, so I cannot compare I thought I would mention it since you did list 1750.00 cost was at the upper limit. If you have a Cabela's close by, you may find out if they have any Leupold and other brands onsite to compare before purchasing. Just a thought.

I seriously considered the PST II but was a bit worried about them missing out of the gates like they did on some of the early versions of the PST I have read soo much about.
I think their warranty is second to none and love what they are doing....except the weight on the razor line and such which is a no go for me. I have not been able to find the PST II in stock in many places, it is still in early production and it does not have locking turrets. However I have soo much faith in Vortex I still consider the PST II in the back of my mind depending on the time of day:D

Leupold will take care of you if there is an issue. They have very good customer service.

I have a mk 6 that I like very much. It is going to leupold to get the stupid B style elevation turret changed for a low profile C style.

Glass is great, reticle is great too. Weight and size are perfect for what I use it for. It can be nitpicked if you try, but its a good scope. I prefer nightforce and US optics really, but they are usually much bulkier and generally heavier.

I have never had tracking issues, but I generally just use the reticle. If it does not track right send it to leupold and have them fix it. Should be fine!

I think you will like it, but Vortex makes some good stuff for the price too.
Thanks for the input on the MK6. Vortex was at the top of my list for consideration however for what I considered competition for the MK 6 the contenders were the razor line and the weight is an immediate no go.

I grew up with Leupolds on all my shooters but not too hot on them anymore. The last 3 I have bought havent been that impressive for the buck. I spent a grand on a vx6 2-12 and the mag ring is tight as heck to turn. I bought an expensive scout scope and the windage clicks didnt hardly click but the elevations did. And I got a 400 dollar 22 scope and same complaint on the mag ring. I think leupold is riding on their name and warranty nowadays more than anything on non technical models. I have no experience or comments with their br and lr scopes scopes. Their glass is decent to great depending on the grade but I really dont think their glass is much better than many other companies who probably buy their glass from the same places in china or wherever over there.
There are plenty of scope manu's now who have warranties as good if not better than leupold and probably some who give you a much better bang for the buck like vortex.

You can get a used NXS for 1750 with zs and it will work every time.

Why gamble?

First impression on the vx-6hd was very good by the way. It's a nice touch that it comes out of the box wearing alumina covers. The cds-zl2 system seems to be a pretty simple and foolproof design. Didn't have a chance to compare glass quality yet, will try to do the eye chart and light tests in the near future. The only thing that I wish they would do different is use something other than set screws against a smooth round surface to hold the turret cap on the dial. For a scope in that price class you shouldn't have to worry about the possibility of your turret getting knocked off or slipping.. the new impact reticle is nice too, I will most likely buy one for myself in the near future.

First impression on the vx-6hd was very good by the way. It's a nice touch that it comes out of the box wearing alumina covers. The cds-zl2 system seems to be a pretty simple and foolproof design. Didn't have a chance to compare glass quality yet, will try to do the eye chart and light tests in the near future. The only thing that I wish they would do different is use something other than set screws against a smooth round surface to hold the turret cap on the dial. For a scope in that price class you shouldn't have to worry about the possibility of your turret getting knocked off or slipping.. the new impact reticle is nice too, I will most likely buy one for myself in the near future.

Thanks for the update!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.