E. A. Brown Accuracy Barrel

There is an ebco 6br prefit on an old j action that they chambered too deep. After a very short runaround with them the local Smith fixed it and ebco can kiss my ***.

Customer Service is well into the negative side of the scale.

Got the barrel...it appears they test fired it.

You can see the machine marks in the brass through the zip lok.

I've probably chambered close to 90 rifle barrels of various calibers and cartridges over the last 40+ years, all by hand. All of my gunsmithing work has been for myself, close family and a few close friends, at no charge. In 40+ years I've never reamed a single chamber with rings like that...

Had I reamed that chamber, I'd have replaced the barrel out of shear embarrassment!

This picture/post I'm sure will void any warranty I might have had after the phone incident. But I thought it doesn't actually do anything, no real harm done.

Drilled and tapped the case that had my jag still inside. The cut the case off. Lubed it good and ran it through the die a couple times in am attempt is get it as small as possible (that didn't help, but I tried). Coated the case with JB bore paste, which came with the barrel.

Chucked up the case with plenty of JB...ran the drill slow enough you could easily read the head stamp as it went by. I did that twice.

My original brass still no go, but the Gunwerks drops in just like the Nosler case they sent!

Sooooooooo.....I have 35 cases to play with while I wait on a small base die.

Tomorrow I will reassemble everything and see what happens once the bolt closes. If that's good, then I will load up the brass I have for a range Trip on Sunday...I have two other rifles that need some loads tested so I will get a bunch of trigger time Sunday.

I will post up again tomorrow with the results with the barrel mounted to the action.

Oh...one last thing...from the picture of their "our test round" they need to spring for a new reamer.

IMO - If I was cutting chambers on customers barrels, you can bet I wouldn't let a chamber like that out of my shop. That fine for a factory barrel, but not custom work!

Like your chamber polisher! Nice...

Keep us posted on your progress and the end results with your chamber repairs.

CaptnC, I have a Lyman borescope that has live view as well as the ability to capture images of the bore/chamber/crown. You are more than welcome to borrow it for this project. PM me if you'd like to use it.

Like your chamber polisher! Nice...

CaptnC, I have a Lyman borescope that has live view as well as the ability to capture images of the bore/chamber/crown. You are more than welcome to borrow it for this project. PM me if you'd like to use it.

Well...it looks like it worked...lol...
Redneck Gunsmithing 101

I've done two mausers myself. They were short chambered barrels that I head spaced, but the entire finished chamber was cut by me...neither looked like this chamber did!

Dam...I have a fiber optic camera at the shop I bought years ago to look in the spark plug holes so we could inspect the inside of the cylinder. I forgot all about it.

Thanks for the offer!

Getting ready to reassemble my rifle...updates to follow...

Ladies and gently men!

Drum roll please!

Yes sir! The Gunwerks Lapua once fired, full length sized brass chambers smooth as butter! Tried one of my other pieces and had to break out the cleaning rod!

But as I said...at least I now have 300ish pieces of brass to play while I wait on a small base die.

Busy now! Have finish reassembling the rifle, then reloading for a range day tomorrow! Rain or shine....going to rain big time tomorrow, but I got rubber boots and part of the range is covered!

Congratulations CaptnC! :)

Share some target pictures and pictures of post polished chamber fired brass, if you don't mind.

Very interested in how well the chamber polished up.

Congratulations CaptnC! :)

Share some target pictures and pictures of post polished chamber fired brass, if you don't mind.

Very interested in how well the chamber polished up.

I have a pre-range indication that it needs more work!

I went easy, slow and as I said only used one case. But as I have been preparing cases to be loaded, I have chambered each one. There are a few I can feel the brass when I close the bolt. Those cases still extract fine but there is marks on the case.

I polished this case with 000 steel wool. Then chambered the case...
20190406_112734-1.jpg

20190406_112820.jpg

I have a pre-range indication that it needs more work!

As I have been preparing cases to be loaded, I have chambered each one. There are a few I can feel the brass when I close the bolt. Those cases still extract fine but there is marks on the case.

Just as I found when I've polished rough chambers, it takes multiple brass cases and a lot of time...

Be patient, it will clean up.

Ok...just finished processing and testing each piece of the Gunwerks once fired brass. I keep mentioning that because I watched the guys shooting the rifle and had ask them if they reloaded...dude said "No"....so here they are.
20190406_114414.jpg

I would bet the cost of a new bag of 100 pieces of Lapua brass that 10% will not chamber in this rifle!

I had 26 cases from this guy and 3 failed to chamber.

Oh yeah...I never closed the bolt all the way on the "fail to chamber" cases. Thats just enough to know it wont come out. Had I closed the bolt, it would cost me another cleaning rod!

So I would need a small base die no matter new brass or once fired!

This is hurting my brain!! I guarantee your polishing a curve and ripples into your chamber!!
Your lapping your chamber out to over size brass, makes zero sense to me, 30 seconds in lathe with 320 on firm backer would have solved your marks issue then new brass would fix the rest.
If you ran a tenths indicator up that chamber you'd see a mess!!!

As your chamber polishing progresses, more and more of your brass will fit. Just don't over do it. Shoot a few rounds every once in a while, as you go, and closely monitor your spent brass dimensions.

That is why I suggested a 18" shaft for polishing. You can do it without taking the barrel and action apart.

......would have solved your marks issue then new brass would fix the rest.

You need to go back read my posts!

I said I had three pieces of once fired brass from Gunwerks Lapua ammo, fired from a Gunwerks rifle that will not fit the chamber after full length sizing. Yes, I know it was fired in another chamber, but no way in hell that brass grew that much in one firing in their chamber!

The clown who cut my chamber used a wore out reamer and the chamber of my barrel is way too small!

You need to go back read my posts!

I said I had three pieces of once fired brass from Gunwerks Lapua ammo, fired from a Gunwerks rifle that will not fit the chamber after full length sizing. Yes, I know it was fired in another chamber, but no way in hell that brass grew that much in one firing in their chamber!

The clown who cut my chamber used a wore out reamer and the chamber of my barrel is way too small!

So your telling me that 55,000 psi+ didn't push the brass to the chamber wall, think that through, it may take a couple firings to push the corner of the shoulder sharp and expand the thicker base but the body absalutely expands to the case wall and hard other wise you wouldn't see any marks on that fired case!!! When brass is fired in a fat chamber it goes beyond where the spring back is even close to where your chamber starts, you have to over size in the opposite direction so the spring back after sizing stays smaller than your chamber which your not able to do with a normal die. That Gunwerks chamber is over sized.
Dull reamers cut over size chambers because your forcing the reamer and it will push in the back trying to go an easier direction.
Your brass locked up because your chamber is normal and your brass was so fat it was acting as a sizing die with no lube, a rough chamber will not lock up a correct sized case till AFTER it's fired and the case is fitted to the ringing.

Last edited:
I can totally relate to what bigngreen is saying...... I make 25/35 brass from 30-30 cases. New cases form like butter, and fit perfectly, but if I use once fired brass, the base prevents the case from going all the way in. (Its a break open so you can watch) So, even with a full resize, the base isn't getting small enough. I run the once fired brass through a shortened 30-40 die to squeeze the base back down. Once this is done, my standard die maintains the brass fitting in my chamber........

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.