E. A. Brown Accuracy Barrel

CaptnC

This is my cut/paste of my review I just submitted.

Why bring it here? Because they will never publish it on their Web site.

"The barrel was very accurate, but I was having trouble spent cases out of the chamber. These cases were fired up to 8 times in my previous barrel. That barrel had some home gunsmithing done on it, that was why I replaced it.

Once I was home from the range I removed the barrel and tried it in another acton with once fired Lapua brass from a Gunwerks rifle. It too hung in the chamber, so I removed the barrel to test the brass in just the chamber. It hung as well.

Returned the barrel to EA Brown. The owner Mr E Brown emailed me that I must use Virgin brass, that loaded Virgin ammo and empty brass worked fine. When they called to arrange to send the barrel back to me, I ask to speak to him again.

During that conversation he got externally angry after I mentioned using once fired brass in many different rifles. I was so angry that I could no longer understand what he was saying. Then he hung up on me! I had to call back to arrange to have my barrel returned.

I told the very sweet young lady on the phone that I will never buy anything from them again and that I will openly advertise how I was treated"

I told a buddy of mine when I spike to him about returning my barrel that he was very cocky and reminded me of an archery shop owner that we had delt with in the past. I did business with that man for over 40 years. He and I were good friends, so I know how to deal with this type personality .

After I mentioned using once fired range brass in more than a dozen rifles and knew many others who did as well....some of the last words I could understand before his phone started breaking up was..."so your call me a lier?" There was 20 seconds of unrecognizable jiberish before me screaming and cussing at him (I have a short fuse when pushed) to get him to stop.

I told him "no, I'm not calling you a lier, im just stating a fact that I use once fired brass in many rifles!"

CLICK!

So what is your opinion on using once fired brass?

Will I have issues with a custom rifle if I tried to use once fired brass?

I have sold quite a lot here and have a bunch now that I need to get out of my reloading area...so far not one complaint!

Once fired brass should never cause an issue like that unless the first firing was so grossly overloaded that the case couldn't be sized back to spec. It that happened, it wouldn't hold a primer to even fire it a second time!

You full length sizing? Or just shoulder bumping/neck sizing?

Have you tried new brass to see if it still sticks?

They tested it with new brass and new loaded ammo...said it's fine.

Yes I full length size...I normally bump the shoulcer on my 6.5x284. But I adjusted my die to full length knowing I was dealing with a new chamber.

Decided to break out the Gunwerks brass and the mic.
20190402_201428.jpg

Using Nosler load data page for spec's...
Screenshot_2018-01-16-23-15-44.png

The only thing I can measure is the base of the cartridge. The Gunwerks brass measures 0.499 and the spec is 0.501.
20190402_202543.jpg

This case was fired in the EABCO barrel. My first observation was it looked like it had been in a sizing die...aside from the rim being nearly torn off by the extractor.
Screenshot_2019-04-02-20-43-47.png

This case measured 0.500...if you look close it appears to have rings around the case...I'm assuming tool marks from the reamer.

Stay tuned...more to come...

Attachments

• 20190402_201428.jpg
    20190402_201428.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 227
What is the best way to do that? I was thinking about using a wheel cylinder hone on slow speed of a drill.

Would that be too agressive?

I use a wooden dowel with some 220 Emery worked back and forth evenly. I just Chuck it will n my cordless.
Split the dowel end to slide the Emery cloth in. I double the paper

Here is the email....
Screenshot_2019-04-02-21-02-43.png

Screenshot_2019-04-02-21-03-36.png

The bottom was where I replied back, but never received a response.

Another thing...when I dropped the go guage into the stripped down barrel there was very little sticking out...I measured it, but didn't record it because I foolishly took a freshly size, once fired Gunwerks/Lapua brass, lubed again with sizing lube not the chamber...as far as it would go.

Now for the reason I forgot to log the measurement. I destroyed a one piece cleaning rod and jag trying to get the case out! Yeah...try beating on the handle end of a nice one piece cleaning with a medium size ball peen hammer!

Finally it comes out but the jag is so mangled I had to break it off the rod to get the rod out of the barrel! I sent this case along with a fired case similar to the one pictured above. A once fired, sized Gunwerks loaded Lapua that had not been in the chamber of the barrel and one of the same that had been chamber then tapped out without using the extractor.

CaptnC, Eben Brown said that they tried brand new Lapua brass and a factory Nosler load. No where did he say that they fired anything through your barrel. Send him a factory brass fired in your chamber along with the barrel and tell them to repair or replace the defective barrel!

I mentioned that, I too, have the same barrel and while very accurate the chamber is tight AF and difficult to get a consistent CBTO measurement. Before I ever put it on the action, I emailed and emailed as to what the chamber specs were, never an answer? I took the time, 2 weeks ago, to profile this barrel, to the best of my abilities, all my notes are at the shop, short of melting the ole cerrosafe and making a chamber cast that's next?

CaptnC, Eben Brown said that they tried brand new Lapua brass and a factory Nosler load. No where did he say that they fired anything through your barrel. Send him a factory brass fired in your chamber along with the barrel and tell them to repair or replace the defective barrel!

You might have missed my post just above yours. Jump up one from your post...

I don't think I ever said they fired a round though the barrel...I mounted the barrel on my action and did fire it about 30 times.

I sent a full page letter describing everything I tried before I returned the barrel. Each piece of brass I sent had information/description of what each piece was and what was done to it prior to being sent.

Once I had conformation they received the barrel in the mail, I called to make sure they didn't miss my letter or the brass I sent. The girl on the phone said she had everything and would make sure it got to the shop.

The barrel is accurate..I shot it 400yds and 600yds. Dialed up and shot it once at 400 and once at 600...
2019-03-09 12.27.26.jpg

2019-03-09 12.26.29.jpg

I actually shot it a few times after the first shot at 600yds but they had already been hit by previous shooters that day. They paint their steel every morning. At least I've always seen them painted when they open in the mornings.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.