E. A. Brown Accuracy Barrel

A new barrel deserves new brass. Simple as that. Not all reamers are exactly alike. Reamer makers have tolerances they abide by and work within, just as those who chamber have tolerances they work within. Expecting brass that was fired in a factory cut chamber to easily fit in a supposedly "custom" chamber is a no-go 95%-98% of the time. Factory cut chambers are notoriously large in size to begin with. A 'custom' chamber will almost always be smaller in diameters and cut closer to the "GO" gauge than 'factory' will be. I will add that those 'tolerances' are measured at 4 places to the right of the decimal point and not reliably measured with a caliper, digital or not. If I need to measure something precisely, out come the micrometers. They're hanging right there so they're handy. The brass from the chamber in question could definitely be smoother, though. Bidngreen has it right, less than a minute in the lathe with some oil and 320g wet-n-dry on a good backer (think 1/4" wooden dowel, split lengthwise on 1 end for 1/2") would cure that roughness without significantly changing critical dimensions. A "Flex Hone" of proper size might work, too. What ever you do to 'polish' out the marks in the chamber, just be careful you don't do more harm than good.

Well I pulled the trigger on a small base die. While shopping it around it looks like it must be a common problem with this particular chambering!

It was either out of stock or required a special order...I'm surprised I had not seen something about this before.

Oh well...I will be ready once turkey season is over to get this thing tuned up!

All this time and headache and you could have already had new brass and doing load work up.

From reading other threads you have posted on or made, I would imagine you arnt short on cash so is it more principle to prove your point right? Multiple gunsmiths (and good ones) have posted with their thoughts on the matter but you ignore them and push on. It's like you giving someone advice on your field of expertise and they totally ignore you because they are on an agenda to prove a point.

Not trying to be rude...I'm just seriously wondering haha.

Last edited:
All this time and headache and you could have already had new brass and doing load work up.

Not trying to be rude...I'm just seriously wondering haha.

I've reloaded for 30ish or so different rifles since the early 70's several with custom barrels. This is the first one that you can't use once fired brass in???????

Stubborn seems appropriate...

If you just bump shoulders back on fire formed brass. It is well documented here on this site and many others, that at some point you need to full length size your brass so it will chamber easily again. So if my dies will not size the brass small enough to fit this chamber, what do I do???? Sale my brass to some one who owns a 6.5x284 with the proper size chamber or use a small base die to size the brass.

Looks like I will need a small base die not matter new brass or not. Speaking of new brass, I'm betting some of it will need to be run through a small base die before it can be used.

I'm not a card carrying member of "The Throw Away" society that is the "new" norm. If my stove breaks or doesn't work the the way I need it to. I try to fix it regardless what the balance is in my bank account.

Would new barrel/new brass be the easiest way...you bet your butt it would be! It most likely is the most common method to do it.

To be honest...once the barrel is broken in I will be looking for new brass for load development. The brass I have is nearing the end of its useful life any way!

Sounds wasteful to me! You could be fire forming your 'new ' brass while "breaking-in". I've never had an ABCO barrel, but if they take that much "break-in", I don't want one! Pretty much a waste of time, money and band width...… Time,,,,, the most valuable commodity any of us have,,,,,,, far more valuable than range brass!

Last edited:
Final follow for those interested how the brass chambers with the small base die...

Just what the doctor ordered. All the brass fits in the chamber now.

So, in my eyes...the chamber is tight/small, but serviceable. I feared it might be too tight that even some new brass might not fit.

If I run into that at least I know I can run it through this die and keep on trucking.

Thanks everyone! I agree with all the post in this thread...just had to follow my own path to know what I now know!

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.