duplicating factory loads??

archer786

does anyone know where i can find the reload information for factory loads if it exists? i have a 7mm rem mag and the federal premium vital shok's with the 150 gr nosler ballistic tip in it shoot almost literally a hole in a hole at 100 yds. which acceptionally good for factory ammo.
basically im tryin to find a shortcut to a load rather than spending all the time and money to test load after load till i get it right.

Replacating a factory loaded cartridge is usually all but impossible, though I did figure out the Remington factory load for the 338RUM 250 grain loads. One reason it can be so hard is because sometimes the factories will use non-canister powders, that means propellents that are not available to hand loaders. If you want a shortcut to a decent load for your rifle you can use the same brand of brass and exact same bullet then choose a powder that gives around 88% load density. That has worked well for me a time or two. Also, if you open a factory loaded round and weigh the powder charge and see if the powder looks familiar you can compare it to a reliable reloading manual to see if something lines up. Good luck and above all be safe!

well if i had to make a guess on what powder i would have to say that its most likely a alliant powder considering that they are a partner company of federal.... now whether or not they use a powder in their factories that is available to the public thats a different story.

I agree with Gun Poor. The factory can use a mix of powders also. But also come into question of which primer they used? Primers are not all the same! Different primers burn different! Even from lot to lot! So one might burn hotter which will raise pressure and one might not. Also if you want to duplicate a factory load you have to keep OAL the same. So there are alot of variables you are just going to have to figure out. Factory loads always seem to be near maximum loads and that factory loads are made to chamber in alot of rifles. So they are made to SAAMI specs. That way they perform in all types of conditions and different rifles. So are going to full length size your cases or just neck size the cases? Well good luck.

Chronograph a minimum of ten factory cartridges (more is better) , compute the MV, ES and SD. Then choose components that are reasonably close, with a powder you believe is nearly identical. Be certain OAL's are the same. When you match the same MV, your reloads should shoot just as well.

If you find a factory round you like, just buy the bullets as components, re-use the brass and buy a powder and primer that apply.

I copied .22-250 Hornady 50gr V-Max rounds this way. I used the same COL and adjusted powder until the velocity was the same.

Think I caught a break with this. Did a lil checkin, alliant powder is partnered with federal. So it would make sense that federal would use an alliant powder in there factories. In reloading data I have rx25 which is an alliant powder as we all know is listed as load that is potentially the most accurate load at 72grs. The muzzle velocity listed for this charge is 3086 which is also the muzzle velocity listed by the factory for the loads they manufactured.
So velocity matches, the powder used in the load that is suggested as the most accurate load is coincidentally alliant. So I think I found a good starting point.

I am trying to do the same thing with my 700 .06. Win. ammo 150gr the cheep stuff it shoots sub moa. I can tell you this IMR4350 at 52.3 pushing a hornady 150 fmj/bt isnt it. I didnt think I would get it any way being VARY new at this. Only done 6 rounds sofar and I am addicted.

"anyone know where i can find the reload information for factory loads if it exists?"

It does not and will not exist. The cannister powders we use are not identical to what the factories use for their own stuff. We can fairly easily duplicate REAL factory velocities but not at most factory pressures.

Most of us with chronographs can confirm that so far as the speeds in our rigs go even the factories don't match published factory velocities!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts