Dry Firing...truth or myth?

skipglo

From the time I was Six and up until last year (57 years) I was always told dry Firing was at the very least extremely hard on the firing pin, right up to...if you do that you will break your firing pin. Now on Wild T.V. I see folks dry Firing not once or twice but four times preparing for THE LONG SHOT! Albeit the question...truth or myth! Will it damage the action (pin) or not?

I dry fire A LOT. 5000+/yr

I've broken a sear spring, but never a firing pin. Use dummy rounds whenever I can.

Never dry fire a rimfire without a dummy round. THAT can cause damage.
How many times a year would you say you dry fire without the dummy round vs with? Just curious... thanks for the info

I go through several dry-fire routines and situating for natural point of aim and all that before shooting live rounds. My gunsmith (former benchrester) has never indicated that dry-firing would harm any of the work/rifles he's done for me. Heck, I even try to do that when hunting if the situation permits it.

I go through several dry-fire routines and situating for natural point of aim and all that before shooting live rounds. My gunsmith (former benchrester) has never indicated that dry-firing would harm any of the work/rifles he's done for me. Heck, I even try to do that when hunting if the situation permits it.
That's what I have been seeing...thanks for your input

How many times a year would you say you dry fire without the dummy round vs with? Just curious... thanks for the info

Good question. Probably not more than 100/yr/rifle. I use a dummy for practice sessions but when I'm out in the field I generally do not take a dummy cartridge. Still like to stay sharp, so I'll range/build position/dial and fire at random objects with an empty chamber, but usually just once or twice, sporadically or when I'm inspired. In these situations the emphasis is more on building positions efficiently, or heartrate management/awareness than anything else.

Good question. Probably not more than 100/yr/rifle. I use a dummy for practice sessions but when I'm out in the field I generally do not take a dummy cartridge. Still like to stay sharp, so I'll range/build position/dial and fire at random objects with an empty chamber, but usually just once or twice, sporadically or when I'm inspired. In these situations the emphasis is more on building positions efficiently, or heartrate management/awareness than anything else.
I have always sited and pull the trigger up to this point repeatedly at long distance but never dry fired. It certainly isn't as effective as I am probably adding 2-3 extra pounds to the real pull. ALL of my hunting rifles are set at 2.2 lbs.So with your gentlemen's input I'm going to give it a go....but maybe with just ONE gun for awhile. Thanks very much for your valued input...all of you!

By "dummy" round do you mean a shot cartridge with the used primer still in place?
There are actually "dummy shells" called snap caps here in Canada available for most COMMON calibers.... otherwise it was always recommend to me to at least use a spent casing. Guess I'm going to change that now

No, used primers don't stand up very well. They are meant for one firing only. I generally purchase 'snap caps' for common calibers, otherwise I'll cut a piece of HDPE or UHMW (plastic) to fit in an empty primer pocket.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.