Dream hunt 30 years in the making

Dang I got so caught up in the hunt and story I forgot to include details of the rifle and load.

It's a 30 Nosler by Alamo Precision Rifles.
Def Tenacity action with APR BDL style mag.
Muller barrel 1:10 twist, micro flutes with Vias radial brake.
AG composites stock in APR design.
Jewel trigger at 1.5 pounds
VX6-HD 6-24 in Seekins rings
Running 230 bergers seated .020 off in ADG brass over H1K at 2980 MV.

This is what has now become thier Maverick line but that would include a trigger tech and harrels brake.

Here's a 1.75 inch group I shot at 600 yards prior to the hunt. No warm up or checking zero, dial and shoot 3.

View attachment 309660View attachment 309661
For me, this is pretty critical information, so thanks for the update on the "tools". You were well prepared in this category. Good job!

This is a hunt that I've dreamed of for 30 years and never pulled the proverbial trigger. Three years and 30 pounds ago I couldn't have attempted this hunt. I've worked my rear off to get into the best condition I could. I still sucked wind going uphill and had some slight knee pain down hill and loaded with 75 pounds.

I applied for 3 southern NM units and drew 2nd rifle.

We scouted for 2.5 days sighting roughly 50 elk. Mostly cows and rag horns but we had 4 good bulls which we thought we could get within range and more importantly get off the mountain. All I read was steep, rough and nasty. Those were all understatements with the hunting area running from 8-9500 feet. Many bulls were safe from me as getting to them and packing out would be a tough haul.

This was to be a DIY with my BIL. He wasn't able to complete the application due to an old account. I still wanted to go DIY but my wife insisted I go guided as it's such a rare draw and for safety (her piece of mind). I conceded and glad I did, I had a much better time and learned more in one trip than I could have 3 solo trips.

Big 5x5 down at 550 yards. Was a late night.

We did 11 miles on the day I killed gaining 1200 feet total and topping at 9400 feet. We did 24 miles in 4 days gaining 1000 feet most days. We packed out the front shoulders and gear the night I killed. My packed weighed 75 pounds with shoulder, rifle and gear. We came in the next day with a mule to finish the job.

This has been a 30 year dream come true. I walked off the mountain just a little emotional. I don't know if I'd do this difficult of a hunt again but glad I have. My young fit local guide is licking his wounds to give you an idea of what we did.

These pics don't do justice to the beauty or rugged steepness of this area.

View attachment 308941View attachment 308943View attachment 308944View attachment 308945View attachment 308946View attachment 308947View attachment 308948
Congratulations are in order on several fronts!
Beautiful bull
Great write up
Wonderful photos
Good for you, putting in the work to knock those 30 lbs off and be prepared for such an epic adventure!
You'll forget the pain shortly and just train harder for the next time. You do realize that's exactly what's going to happen… right? It's in the blood now 😉🙌

Last edited:
For me, this is pretty critical information, so thanks for the update on the "tools". You were well prepared in this category. Good job!

Thanks.
It's something it do often as season gets close. I have a public range on my way home where I'll stop and simply drop down to the bipod dial and shoot steel from 4-600 yards. Many times I'm the only out there and can get off bench to shoot odd ranges in between ranges.

It's a real confidence builder.

Last edited:
Great bull , pictures and story, this too is on my bucket list. I just returned from West Texas on a whitetail, mule deer , hog and Aoudad hunt , I took all trophy , mountable animals, all personal bests for me. I hunted a private ranch and received a good deal of help with my animals from friends and family, so my Elk hunt out there may happen next year, but first , in 10 days, I'm going to have a total knee replacement surgery on my right then 6-8 weeks later get the left done. With strength training and conditioning, I should be up for the hunt. This guy I had seen over a dozen times in my month and half stay at the ranch .

Attachments

• 1DD1F6A4-085B-46BE-BBF7-D8DEBE12E75F.jpeg
    1DD1F6A4-085B-46BE-BBF7-D8DEBE12E75F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
This is a hunt that I've dreamed of for 30 years and never pulled the proverbial trigger. Three years and 30 pounds ago I couldn't have attempted this hunt. I've worked my rear off to get into the best condition I could. I still sucked wind going uphill and had some slight knee pain down hill and loaded with 75 pounds.

We scouted for 2.5 days sighting roughly 50 elk. Mostly cows and rag horns but we had 4 good bulls which we thought we could get within range and more importantly get off the mountain. All I read was steep, rough and nasty. Those were all understatements with the hunting area running from 8-9500 feet. Many bulls were safe from me as getting to them and packing out would be a tough haul.

This was to be a DIY with my BIL. He wasn't able to complete the application due to an old account. I still wanted to go DIY but my wife insisted I go guided as it's such a rare draw and for safety (her piece of mind). I conceded and glad I did, I had a much better time and learned more in one trip than I could have 3 solo trips.

We did 11 miles on the day I killed gaining 1200 feet total and topping at 9400 feet. We did 24 miles in 4 days gaining 1000 feet most days. We packed out the front shoulders and gear the night I killed. My packed weighed 75 pounds with shoulder, rifle and gear. We came in the next day with a mule to finish the job.

This has been a 30 year dream come true. I walked off the mountain just a little emotional. I don't know if I'd do this difficult of a hunt again but glad I have. My young fit local guide is licking his wounds to give you an idea of what we did.

View attachment 308941View attachment 308943View attachment 308944View attachment 308945View attachment 308946View attachment 308947View attachment 308948
WOW . beautiful country and nice shootin' tex. Only wish I was the one in the picture. GREAT !!

New Mexico is an amazing place to hunt. The green chili always makes it good after a hunt!

I bet every time you eat some of that Bull , your remember , the shot ,the pack out, and the trip !
A lot of people don't realize how much work is it takes to get ready for a hunt, even before you pull the trigger , then afteryou kill one ,it gets even a little tougher sometimes.
Tougher

Very true, I savor every bite, pun intended...😋

I've been really busy lately with family commitments but have carved out some processing time for a long weekend next week. Making Link and summer sausage, snack sticks and ground jerky.

I was at the gym yesterday for a light workout and dreaming of drawing another tag watching Newburg on YouTube.

Drawing season is upon us, don't let it slip up on ya. I've been studying the odds on go hunt and hoping to not get a refund on my card.

Here's a little something to get the juices flowing.

20211031_112912.jpg

Last edited: