DPMS LR-308 beating up brass.

Toconnor50

Alright guys So my LR-308 Is really beating up brass in factory loads. There are extractor marks on the bottom of the case and there is always a slight vertical dent in the neck the of the case. It has happened with every factory ammo I have ran through it, so I know its not one certain brand of ammo thats shooting too hot. I have ran Norma Tac 308, PMC, ultramax 308, federal. Is the extractor just beating up the cases or what? any input will be greatly appreciated!

And I actually machined down the bevel on the deflector. It reduced dents in the case body.
My lr308 WILL destroy RP brass in one firing. Mag tech brass and Winchester holds up very well.
I was very impressed with mag tech. Very disappointed with RP.
You will continue to see extractor marks if you load hot like me.

Post a picture of what you're brass looks like.

What it SOUNDS LIKE, just by reading...It's nothing abnormal and it's not really "beating it up"

A ding in the neck is nothing to be concerned with, your resizer is going to handle that anyway.

I'm not sure how your extractor could be getting anywhere near the bottom of your case.
If it's leaving pull marks on the back of your rim, then that would be a pretty bad deal...but that's unlikely. Your dented necks are probably just from hitting your case deflector. You can fix that in a number of ways

Seen this before with DPMS ar's. One was actually chewing up the rim and head of the brass like it was a hot load. (factory) What was happening was the bolt was trying to disengage and rotate before the bullet left the barrel under high pressure. To much pressure to soon. The adjustable gas block was the cure.

Jeff

Thanks everyone for the input, Ill have to look into an adjustable gas block. I will also try to post pictures of the brass because the neck dent doesn't look like a normal deflector ding. It almost looks like a cut in the brass. Ill try to post some tonight.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts