O.A.L for a DPMS LR 308

Team Realtree

I hope I can explain this: Just bought an O.A.L. gauge for my DPMS 308. Got a max O.A.L for the bullet I want to use is 2.875, Hornady's manual says C.O.L should be 2.800, rifle's magazine will only accomodate a Max length of 2.775.
Being this is a semi auto, do I not worry about backing the bullet off the lands (to achieve the best accurracy) and just go with what fits in the magazine?
Thanks for all comments

Did I not explain this right or is there nobody that knows about reloading for an AR 10?
I think a lot of us know, but it seams very cut and dry. You have to work with in the confines of your mag system its that simple. The max length of you mag is the longest you can have you bellet so you will have to work from there back.

Yes, Just go with max mag length in your situation. Rifle reloading is much more forgiving than semi-auto handgun loads with COL adjustments, as it relates to pressure. I still would stay below max a bit & use a powder compatible with your semi-auto action. The medium/faster burners like H-4895 & TAC may work out well.

Make sure you are resized properly so you don't stick a case in your action.

I hope I can explain this: Just bought an O.A.L. gauge for my DPMS 308. Got a max O.A.L for the bullet I want to use is 2.875, Hornady's manual says C.O.L should be 2.800, rifle's magazine will only accomodate a Max length of 2.775.
Being this is a semi auto, do I not worry about backing the bullet off the lands (to achieve the best accurracy) and just go with what fits in the magazine?
Thanks for all comments

That 2.775 sounds a little short. In my factory equiped mag and the ones I use from Knight's Armament (don't know if they made them?) I can get slightly longer then 2.8". I have to admit, the one from the factory sucks and causes quite a few stoppages.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.