6.5/.284 o.a.l.

trb0

I'm building a 6.5/.284 and would like any info on the o.a.l. using a 139 grain lapua scenar.any recomendations on how far out of the lands to start bullet depth would be helpful also. thanks timbo

No info on those bullets but I find the 142 gr Sierra HPBT like to be 20 thou off the lands in my rig. Ya gotta play to know for sure. Everybody says shove them in the lands but I have it on good scoop that .020 off is the right ticket for my barrel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Joe

contrary to a lot of vld's, scenars seem to like to be jumped between 10 and 20thou from the rifling. what powder are you using?

Aggree with Nowler, Scenars like to be 5 to 10 thou off the lands. 140 VLD's in my rifle like to be 15 thou into the lands, 142 SMK's like to be 5 thou off. I am attaining 2900 fps with 49g H4350 and the VLD's. Scenars are very similar and very accurate but I would try 142SMK's if you have a 1 in 8.5 twist barrel, mine just loves them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The posts above are varied enough to show that there really isn't a "rule of thumb" here. I tried the 139 Scenar's, 140 A-Max's and the 142 SMK's without success until I started loading them .022" into the rifling. Standard deviation dropped significantly and group size shrank right down.

Personally, I'm not a fan of jammin' my bullets into the rifling but you have to go with what works in your particular rifle. I am continuing to look for loads that will shoot well with bullets loaded off the rifling but you just can't force a rifle to do what it doesn't want to.

I'm shooting a Lilja 3 groove if that makes any difference. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

VH

[ QUOTE ]
The posts above are varied enough to show that there really isn't a "rule of thumb" here. I tried the 139 Scenar's, 140 A-Max's and the 142 SMK's without success until I started loading them .022" into the rifling. Standard deviation dropped significantly and group size shrank right down.

Personally, I'm not a fan of jammin' my bullets into the rifling but you have to go with what works in your particular rifle. I am continuing to look for loads that will shoot well with bullets loaded off the rifling but you just can't force a rifle to do what it doesn't want to.

I'm shooting a Lilja 3 groove if that makes any difference. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

VH

[/ QUOTE ]

As Varmint Hunter said "go with what workes in your particular rifle" Mine likes 142 SMK's .20 off go figure.
As for OAL I only know one person with the same throat as my rifle, the other people I have shot with all had different throats.

I have a 6.5x284 290nk. My rifle has a 28"1/2 barrel and it loves the 139 scenar. My O.A.L. is 3.160 and my best group with this bullet is .093 three shot group. I find that V-N165 burns consistantly. My rifle loves 52.5grns of V-N165 and as mentioned before is very very accurate. The muzzel velocity with this load is 3000 fps. My rifle likes the 142mks, however, the scenars shoot better. I also get great accuracy using H4350, 52grns and using the scenar. This powder burns faster and your velocity will be higher. I get 3100 fps with this powder and my best group was .127 three shot group. My bullet is .010 into the lands. I hope this helps. I have load data using the 142mks, so if you need that info let me know. You will love the 6.5x284. It is with out a doubt the most accurate round I have ever shot. I believe it is the best longrange varmint round available if you have the $ to build one. Make sure to invest in good optics, this round is capable of very long shots. Good luck! and let me know if you need more info.

i'm building the gun on a model 70 winchester with a 28 inch shilen select match barrel with a 1 in 8 twist, #7 contour, with a 2 oz. jewell trigger topped with a 8.5 x 25 x 50mm leupold which is currently barreled in a .22/.250 with a #5 contour that shoots in the low 2's if i do my part.what kind of range can i realistcally expect to shoot with the 6.5/.284 if it shoots to its potential in this weight rifle(12-13 lbs.)by the way thanks to everyone who responded about seating depth timbo

You can reach out and touch anything out to 1000 to 1200 yards. The 6.5x284 has been winning many 1000 yard competitions. I have shot mine out to 1120 yards at the range I shoot at. I have not yet shot a group at that range, but have my scope sighted in for it. I am working on some more load data with H4350. As I mentioned before I get great accuracy with 52.5 grns of N-165, lupa 139 grn bullet, around 3000 fps. My best three shot group with this powder and bullet was .093. However, I have load data with H4350, lupa 139 grn bullet, showing 3100 fps to 3200 fps with 52.5 grns. My best three shot group with this combo is .127. I think I can shrink this with little changes. That combo will give me less drop at 1000 yards. If you get good enough with the 6.5x284, you will be able to hit any varmint out to 1200 yards with no problems. Make sure you get a muzzel brake, it will bring the recoil down to around a 22-250 type kick, if not, it will feel like a 30-06. Mine has a muzzel brake and it shoots sweet. I can watch the varmints blow in the scope. Good luck! let me know if you need any other information. I am using Fed. 210 match primers and Lupa brass, I forgot to mention those important components.

i I just got my winchester back today and started breaking the barrel in,cleaning after every shot for the first 10, then after every 5. on shots 6-10 i shot the first group ever and it measured .300 !! I was going with a bullet depth set by the gunsmith and noticed it to be very tight when camming the bolt over so after those 10 shots i checked to see where the bullets was from the lands and found that it was .085 into the lands.I'm going back today with the bullet .010 out of the lands to see what it will do.the load i was shooting ic 47 gr. h4350,139 scenar, fed match 210 primer, lapua brass. thanks timbo

Timbo, that's great!!!!! Try .010 into the lands and let me know how that works. The 6.5 scenar and MK's seem to shoot better when just touching the lands. Try to get your 139 scenar to a velocity of 2900 to 3000 fps, that is the magic number for my set up, I bet you will get similar results with your 6.5. It also looks like your using excellent components for this setup. Let me know how it shoots. Also, my O.A.L is 3.160, hope that helps. Good luck, Wildcat

Wildcat, I went and shot yesterday with the bullet .010 out of the lands with the same powder/bullet combo and it shot 5 shots in .56 inches.I went back and loaded 10 more but bumped the powder up 1 gr. to 48 grains and shot a group at 100 just under .500 but my first 4 measured .136 before human error(me) pulled the last shot. the next 5 were shot at 300 yards and measured 1.07. the shots were strung up and down vertically with not more than 1/2 inch left to right. any advice on what I'm doing wrong to get the vertical strings? I suspect that it may be shoulder pressure inconsistency on my part. I'm still learning the rifle but recoil is mild enough to shoot with little or no shoulder pressure.By the way the barrel has now had 30 rds. fired through it and i have done very little tinkering on a load,upped the powder charge 1 gr. is all, and shot only 1 powder h4350 and 139 gr. scenar. thanks timbo

Timbo, are you shooting new brass? If you are, H4350 doesn't shoot good in new brass. Load some fired brass and see how it shoots with the some powder amount and try to seed your bullet .010 into the lands. Another question I have is? have you cleaned your primer pockets and deburred your flash holes. I bet your shooting this load in new brass, and like I said before, new brass doesn't like this load as I find out too!! However, when I loaded up some already fired brass and tried the same load, thats when the groups got super small. Let me know if that helps. If not, we will try somthing different.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.