6.5 bullet 142 MK's O.A.L. Question

wildcat

6.5 bullet 142 MK\'s O.A.L. Question

I just did an O.A.L. test on my 6.5 142grn MK's. I measured 126 bullets for an O.A.L. The spread for 83 bullets measured form 1.371 (the shortest) to 1.386 (the longest) and only a few of these were within .002 of eachother. I was able to get 43 bullets to measure within .002 of eachother. The 0.A.L. of these bullets measured between 1.375 to 1.377. I will load these for my longrange group testing. My qeustion is, I want to be very consistant for longrange shooting, so is it important for the bullets O.A.L. to be within .002 of eachother or is it ok for that much of a spread, in O.A.L., to occur. Any help would be great, I am trying to learn everything I can. Thanks for the help, Wildcat.

Re: 6.5 bullet 142 MK\'s O.A.L. Question

wildcat,
you gave us no info, O.A.L. from where to where and measured with what ???????? and how ????????
ub

I used my dial indicator and measured from base to tip of bullet. Is there a better tool to do this with. I am just getting started in longrange shooting, so I am trying to learn. Thanks, Wildcat.

you CAN NOT measure from the tip to the base.. especially with SMK's you will never get a consistient measurement.
Get a stoney point comparator with the interchangeable caliber inserts. You also need a dial caliper but I assume you already have one.

where you need to measure is from the base to the ogive.
if you really want to be anal take that measurement then weigh each one and separate but length and weight. Buy a lot of 500 though because just doing 100 is a waste of time.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.