300 rum o.a.l.

jerryhk91

i have a remington 700 in 300 rum ,what is the max oal i should make my cartidge? thanks in advance for the info

The max length that will fit in the mag box, or shorter if the bullet contacts the rifling, which is not likely. Mine contacts the rifling at about 3.830 with a 200gr Accubond but my max length is 3.660-3.665 as anything longer will not fit in the mag box. BTW, the 200gr Accubond with about ~90gr Retumbo shoots awesome when seated to fit the box at 3.660". Max load is slightly higher though.

I second what Brent said. I seat the Accubond right at 3.660 and its very accurate unless you want to single shot it you can get it closer to the rifling. I have a 220gr SMK load that is just off the lands and it won't even come close to fiting in the mag box. The rifling is a mile away in factory rifles.

You guys are right. I have the little brother 7RUM and I can't make most bullrts touch the rifleing and still be in the case neck. My mag box is a hair longer though cause I seat mine at 3.71 and still have 5 thou clearance. I think all the factory RUMs have a very long throat so not to cause excessive pressure by jamming a bullet into the riflings. I think weatherby also does or did it too on their big cals like the 300 weatherby and 30.378 and the 338.378. Dont quote me on that until someone that really knows what their talking about confirms it! Just seat them to fit the mag box is about the best you can do unless you want a single shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.