downsides to single shot long range rig?

KurtB

Kicking around a dedicated heavy rifle for long range hunting in western Colorado. The 7 Saum shooting 180 bergers is very interesting to me and I would love to seat them out as far as possible. I think that is going to cause me some heartburn for mag length and since this will be a 700 yard or a bit further rifle, I am just trying to figure out if I really need a repeater. Setups include setting up over oak brush filled canyons and shooting across with minimal hiking around.

Say you ran an A5 heavy fill, heavy taper 28" barrel, would you feel really handicapped for long range hunting with a single shot rig? My longest range hunting to date has been with a lightweight 6.5-06 going slightly over 500 yards a few times. Looking to extend that by a bit. Thank you for your feedback.

All my LR rigs are repeaters. But I seldome load more than one at a time. I load one and lay one or two more beside the rifle like I do when practicing. If a follow up shot was to be needed I feel I have plenty of time to grab another and get it chambered. So far I have had very good resuts with one shot kills. I feel if I am thinking the shot may require a second shot, I probably need to pass as my confidence in this shot is not good enough to justify taking it.

JMO

Jeff

All my LR rigs are repeaters. But I seldome load more than one at a time. I load one and lay one or two more beside the rifle like I do when practicing. If a follow up shot was to be needed I feel I have plenty of time to grab another and get it chambered. So far I have had very good resuts with one shot kills. I feel if I am thinking the shot may require a second shot, I probably need to pass as my confidence in this shot is not good enough to justify taking it.

JMO

Jeff

+1
Sound advice !!!!

J E CUSTOM

+1 for what Broz said. A couple of my LR rigs are single shots, others are repeaters but like Broz, I seldom load more than 1 round.

IF I were to miss on a LR shot it would be because I have made an error in my dope so rather than just shoot another, I know I need to refigure something. In the case of a hit that needs a follow up shot or a shot that the correction is obvious, if you have your ammo ready it really does not take much more time to drop a fresh round in.

I agree with everything said above. I have a a few different rigs for long range shooting and hunting. I have a 7mm that is a single shot that I use for hunting and I have two 30 cal repeaters that I use as well. In my opinion if you are looking for the most accurate rifle I recommend the single shot. This will provide you a lot more bedding area. As stated earlier even if I use one of my repeaters I seldom load more than one round at a time. Everyone is different on this. Good luck on your decision

I agree with everything said above. I also shoot and have loaned my 7STW to friends doing the Colorado elk and deer combo hunts. Before you buy do a little research. My only negatives on the 7mm WSM and 7mm Rem. SAUM are the case volumes. They just don't hold enough powder to use the slow powders for long barrels.

Most of my hunting rounds are SPBT's In magnum guns if you have a few rounds in the mag. Take a look at the ones in the mag after firing. They all get a dented nose. Also in cold hunting I keep my bullets in a front shirt pocket to keep the powder temp somewhat nearer to my preseason bench rest shooting

Last edited:
In addition to all that has been said here the plus side is the additional rigidity of a single shot action with a long heavy barrel hanging out there, and the additional rigidity in the stock with no mag cut, plus the added bedding surface, which all makes for a more solid platform.
JMHO

Dave

Easy Answer---just build a BR type rifle with a stock that you like. There are many actions like the Stiller Python (my favorite) BAT, Stolle to just name some of the big boys which I have in the safe. The trick is to learn to shoot RB/LP which makes a single shot much easier to use!!

Really appreciate the feedback and very pleased that there seems to be a very definite consensus. Have to trip a couple of things to start building some funds. Thank you all.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.