long range rig suggestions

You definitely won't be hunting with the .338. That thing is an absolute bare to lug around with the brake, mag, and a few rounds in it. Add a scope and I sincerely doubt you could even shoulder it. Not to mention reloading costs associated with it, the brass is expensive, heavier bullets, more powder, etc. if you're doing some serious long range shooting (like 1,500+), get the .338. For anything up to 1,500 yards, get the .300 win mag. Both are really good long range cartridges and will absolutely get the job done for you, but the .338 really starts to shine once it gets way out there. There is a certain nostalgia about the Lapua that makes you keep going back to it, but honestly the benefits of buying that rifle vs. the win mag are much less than you think (initial cost of the rifle, ammo, sacrificed versatility...).

before I forget.....MudRunner2005.....you are very welcome. much appreciated.

My brother's in the Army, as well as a lot of my friends, so I like to show support for those who protect our rights and freedom. And I know yall appreciate being appreciated for what you do, as well. And sadly in this day and age, yall don't hear it as often as you should.

I have the Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor. Amazing rifle! Bone stock with factory ammo it will shoot 1/4-1/2 MOA easily. Have taken it out to 820 yards so far.

One thing to note is mine with a Vortex 6-24x50 is heavy, and you may want to consider that if you plan to hunt with it. But, out of the box it's the best rifle I have owned to date.

well, after everyones help, online research, etc....I am "this close" to making my final decision. I called Savage tonight. I really wanted the LRP but with the HS precision FCP style stock like I have seen in some pics. they told me that this is the actual stock for that rifle. the more regular hunting style stock was used up to approx 2-3 years ago and was switched to the new HS Prec. since more people wanted it that way. they just have not changed the picture in their magazine or website as of yet.
so.....
unless someone changes my mind my rig will be as follows:

Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor
scope: SWFA SS HD 5-20 (already ordered and received that one)
also have the tall SWFA SS scope rings.

I will need a 20 MOA base. any recommendations?

now for my son's rifle. I already purchased his scope....SWFA SS 3-15.
he would like a 7mm Rem. I am sticking with Savage. thinking of either the 116 Weather Warrior or the 111 Long Range Hunter. (after he sees what I will be getting he may just change his mind and want one like mine!) anyone have any preferences regarding these 2 rifles?

Depending on your objective lens size I would get medium height or even low height rings if you can, with the 20MOA base you're going to need a big *** cheek rest to get even a little eye relief.

I have medium height .87" seekins precision a rings on mine and my cheek weld isn't even close to the eye relief without an adjustable rest.

well, after everyones help, online research, etc....I am "this close" to making my final decision. I called Savage tonight. I really wanted the LRP but with the HS precision FCP style stock like I have seen in some pics. they told me that this is the actual stock for that rifle. the more regular hunting style stock was used up to approx 2-3 years ago and was switched to the new HS Prec. since more people wanted it that way. they just have not changed the picture in their magazine or website as of yet.
so.....
unless someone changes my mind my rig will be as follows:

Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor
scope: SWFA SS HD 5-20 (already ordered and received that one)
also have the tall SWFA SS scope rings.

I will need a 20 MOA base. any recommendations?

now for my son's rifle. I already purchased his scope....SWFA SS 3-15.
he would like a 7mm Rem. I am sticking with Savage. thinking of either the 116 Weather Warrior or the 111 Long Range Hunter. (after he sees what I will be getting he may just change his mind and want one like mine!) anyone have any preferences regarding these 2 rifles?
I recommend an EGW base with low-height Seekins rings. I run this setup with several different scopes, including a SWFA SS 20x42 fixed MilQuad, and a Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50 BDC.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/61...r-axis-long-action-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Nightforce now make their Pic rail for Savages and are my favorite for the money, I've used a lot of EGW for Savages but they've all been changed out for higher quality parts. If you do go EGW make sure to get the HD base and order a second set of screws, the original screws in the package aren't worth installing the replacement screws are a higher quality.

Nightforce now make their Pic rail for Savages and are my favorite for the money, I've used a lot of EGW for Savages but they've all been changed out for higher quality parts. If you do go EGW make sure to get the HD base and order a second set of screws, the original screws in the package aren't worth installing the replacement screws are a higher quality.
Funny...I've never had any complaints about any of the 8+ EGW rails I have on rifles... Not even the screws. I have 1 non-HD, and the rest are all HD models.

I went with the Nightforce rail just because the difference in cost was negligible in the grand scheme of things. EGW rails are probably fine but if I'm spending ~$900 on a scope and another $100 on rings, what's another $40 to get the NF?

I've got the EGW HD rails on 7 different rifles all installed with factory screws. Never seen a problem with any of them and this is the first such comment I've ever read about them.

What issues have you had?

The 300wm is pretty much never the wrong answer and for your application it would be a great choice.

The 6.5's are a little light for large game beyond 600yds.

If I were looking for one "do it all rifle" these would be the calibers I'd stick with..264WM, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW, and of course the 300wm.

Recoil is completely tolerable with all of them and all have adequate power to do your desired jobs at long range with the .264 and 7mm Rem being a little light for the big game beyond 800yds but still quite capable of getting it done with the right bullet selection and of course proper shot placement.

^^^ This. The 300WM would be a great choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.