Done with 215 Bergers

If a 'target' bullet ends up proving to be a good hunting bullet, what we call it makes no matter. The name doesn't dictate the bullet's performance on game.
So what makes no sense, is arguing that a manufacturer's bullet 'label' or 'classification' MUST dictate the use of that bullet. Rather simple and narrow minded. I don't believe our government, let alone a bullet manufacturer's statement about a bullet's use. Who knows what the manufacturer considered prior to classifying the use of the bullet? Did they test it for all uses? Probably not. Too time consuming.
Letting the bullet's performance dictate it's use and application seems much more sensible.

I fail to understand why a person would use target bullets for hunting bullets. You might as well shot full jacket bullets from your rifle at big game. So you develop at target round shooting targets, that great, but not for hunting animals. It's states it on the box what the bullets are for. They don't work well on animals. Stupid is, stupid does. I fail to understand WHY. It look like they lost several animals to boot. They didn't think much about it either. So they use them again. So maybe the outcome will be different sometimes if I shot enough animals. Poor hunting practices! I guess they are smarter than the manufacture. Finally the light bulb came on. Others are saying they worked for me. I bet they have had problems too. It's make me madder than hell to see game being wasted!!!!

So much wasted emotion.
If the bullet is the VLD-H ("recommended for hunting" on the box), it is a hunting bullet that has taken many critters well, including 2 elk for me, regardless of your judgmental view.

Armed Forces are require to shoot Full Metal Jackets bullets. It's against international law to use anything else. So they are not built for Hunting Wild Game, and it's against the law to use Full Metal Jacket bullets for hunting game animals. Read the hunting reg.

Armed Forces are require to shoot Full Metal Jackets bullets. It's against international law to use anything else. So they are not built for Hunting Wild Game, and it's against the law to use Full Metal Jacket bullets for hunting game animals. Read the hunting reg.

Not quite. Military has been using Sierra 77 gr match king or otm because the jag lawyers determined it was not a hollowpoint but an otm. I assume it's the same for the Berger.

As a southeastern hunter who rarely has the opportunity to shoot past 300 yds I tend to prefer Noslers. But this is a LONG range hunting forum. At the ranges some of these guys and girls routinely shoot game traditional cup and core or bonded bullets can actually have worse terminal performance because they fall below the minimum velocity for expansion. The Hornady Amax now eld has a good reputation for long range effectiveness.
Go to this site and click on your favorite caliber

See what someone who has literally culled hundreds if not thousands of critters and has compiled the most complete and accurate wounding research you will ever see has to day about the amax.

You might want to research that a little more.

When the people who make it say it's Not for Hunting..You know better than they do?
Too bad they can't teach Common Sense in school!
As a matter of fact, yes, we do but our recommendation to designate them hunting messes with the marketing for some bullets. We tested many, tell them hell ya they hunt or you need work and they do what they want with that, sometime they just market them different and sometimes they tweak the bullet to meet the marketing.

I guarantee you bullet companies get most of their information from testers not from internal sources on bullet performance!!!
I've been in on many bullet beta tests from multiple companies especially for elk and so can promise you if your a serious hunter you know more about their on game bullet performance than the engineer!!!

Last edited:
For all the guys that say "They aren't for hunting, says so right on the box" do you also load to the COAL listed in your reloading manuals? I mean they couldn't be more clear "Max COAL" Or do you really flirt with the wild side and load them where they shoot best by actually testing them??

Bergers 215 hybrid as it's states: "Target". Berger does make and state 210 for hunting. Simple! All the bullets that Bergers makes it's either states hunting or target. That plenty simple and in plain English. I didn't see where it stated target bullets are for hunting. Most bullets are built for one or another type of use. Target bullets are built not expand, and to hold the shape on if's flight path to target. Expanding bullets do change some during there flight path, and open up at impact. It's requirement in hunting bullets. Read the hunting reg's. The game wardens must be asleep. I wonder just how many animals have been lost, because of this? Stupid is, Stupid does.

Show me on Bergers web page or on there box in the last 1 year+ it says the 215 hybrid says not for hunting.
Common sense is use what works for YOU!
Where does it show 215 hybrid bullet are for hunting. Where do you see target/hunting 215 hybrid bullets. Look at Berger Web Site. It shows, Hunting, Tactical, Target, Varmint. The 215 is a Target bullet. Berger calls out and shows "Hunting Bullets" No where dose 215 show up as a hunting bullets.

Pretty sure animals hit by these bullets can't read, and neither can the bullets. So they perform or they don't. The user gets to decide.

Game Wardens? Yikes! Nothing illegal about hunting with these bullets. No crime. No felony...

Some love them... It's their choice. Live and let live.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts