I'm Done With Remington

Boss Hoss, Im just going on what i pulled up in a quick search. It's funny I haven't even tried to look to hard to find a few links to who owns remington arms. I never said that Cerberus became Remington! Cerberus is way bigger then that, Look it up. And as far as I can tell all links and info only directs to one Puppet Master that pulls the strings. Cerberus! The man with the money talks! By and chance are you a Remington PR.

Why custom? Why we need someone like Remington or Ruger or any firearm maker if we should all go custom. Look, I do not shoot in competition. I just want to purchase a safe and working rifle to ethically hunt with, I spent $1000 bucks on a rifle and I expect to get a safe and working one for that. If I don't then I expect the rifle to be corrected. That is not a lot to ask. Is it?

Modernizing what???? They overshot the scope screw holes with 0.020". I can do 0.001" accuracy on my conventional 30 year old milling machine. You just have to care.

Hey---I just tell you like it is and you can believe it or not makes no difference to me. My friend I have known for almost 25 years and he has been in this industry for 35. Also know a few other people in the industry and no my friend is not pulling the wool over my eyes but I am limited on what I can repeat on an internet forum. Cannot explain why the holes were off on the action but people are a part of this operation I might add so things happen.

For me I only use custom actions in fact last week the Stiller Predator (300 Jarrett) that were building on had to have the holes chased on top of the action because of a couple of burrs. I use the Stiller Predator as my low end action with Jerry's Pythons (that are coming to a HALT very soon #$^%(%^(, Stolle's and Bats on the high end and my competition rifles.

Also guess who just bought Berger??? Guess who owns the Freedom-Group??? This is not over and they are looking at other companies as well --- there will be more on this later.

"According to a regulatory filing, Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. is planning to take Freedom Group Inc. public in a $200 million ($200M) initial public offering. Cerberus owns 94.3% of Freedom Group's shares, according to the filing. In H1 2009, Freedom Group, which owns a number of firearms and related companies that include Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS Panther Arms, Marlin, and now Advanced Armament Corp. (AAC), experienced a reported sales increase of 35 percent, making the timing for an IPO move look pretty good.

Reuters reports that "Freedom Group sold about 1.1 million long guns and 2 billion rounds of ammunition in the year ended June 30, 2009, according to its prospectus, filed on Wednesday with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission." Freedom Group reported net sales of $427.3M for the six months ended June 30, 2009, which is up 34.9 percent over the same period a year earlier. Net income for the same 6-month period was $32.8M.

So, why the IPO plan? Freedom Group wouldn't specify beyond saying that it was for working capital and general capital. But, capital for what? Probably to buy more firearms (and related) companies."

Last edited:
New management could come in and make a difference overnight in how Remington responds to customer complaints due to defects in firearms that slip out their doors. No doubt about that. But how is one able to know if a manager steps in to make a change or not? Other than owning/operating a gun shop, most of us don't buy firearms on a weekly basis. If you're the poor soul that happens to get a lemon and Remington customer relations thumbs their nose at you, then it's a real turn off and when it comes time to purchase your next firearm ... well... how's that saying go? Fool me once - shame on you. Fool me twice - shame on me.

What's most likely to happen is the pour souls get on a Forum like this and share their negative experience with the rest of the world, since you've run out of options with Remington and can't think of anything better to do to get even with them for their lousy response and customer service.

They must be making money hands over fists in this current market. In spite of that they're callous in their response to the boo boos that get shipped out to retail markets every now and then. This is something that won't hurt their profits for quite some time. It takes a while for this sort of thing to catch up with a company's reputation. That's probably why some managers condone it - especially the ones that don't plan on making a career of it at any single company. They can improve their unit's profits by stiffing the consumer without any significant short-term consequences to their personal well being.

Last edited:
New management could come in and make a difference overnight in how Remington responds to customer complaints due to defects in firearms that slip out their doors. No doubt about that. But how is one able to know if a manager steps in to make a change or not? Other than owning/operating a gun shop, most of us don't buy firearms on a weekly basis. If you're the poor soul that happens to get a lemon and Remington customer relations thumbs their nose at you, then it's a real turn off and when it comes time to purchase your next firearm ... well... how's that saying go? Fool me once - shame on you. Fool me twice - shame on me.

What's most likely to happen is the pour souls get on a Forum like this and share their negative experience with the rest of the world, since you've run out of options with Remington and can't think of anything better to do to get even with them for their lousy response and customer service.

They must be making money hands over fists in this current market. In spit of that they're callous in their response to the boo boos that get shipped out to retail markets every now and then. This is something that won't hurt their profits for quite some time. It takes a while for this sort of thing to catch up with a company's reputation. That's probably why some managers condone it - especially the ones that don't plan on making a career of it at any single company. They can improve their unit's profits by stiffing the consumer without any significant short term consequences to their personal well being.

They have had layoffs in the last 8 weeks......... SLOOOOOWWWWWWIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGG DDDOOOWWWWNNNN!!

I've read that the AR-15 type sales peaked about 4 months ago too. Seems like the buy-everything-gun-related frenzy has peaked.

A good reason to vote Republican..., avoid another spike in demand and prices of firearms and everything firearms related. The cost of primers has more than doubled where I live. And they're still relatively scarce - hard to come by.

Phorwath and Chas1 well said. Thanks you. I will buy an old Remington anytime. Will never get a new one unless someone prove it good. I'm in the market for a 12 gauge autoloader and the 1100 was on my list. I will be looking into other brands. Maybe the Benelli M2 looks promising.

Chas1 thanks for your earlier comment on the P17. I still have a lot of practice till I would put any of that carving on a custom stock. Really hard on my eyes and a magnifying glass just not doing it for me. Here are some more pix from practice piece I done on an old 10/22.

Last edited:
Im still learing to add pictures ot forums. Keep clicking on the insert picture and does not look like wants to work.

takacs1022.JPG

takacs1022-2.jpg

Outstanding wood carving, great detail, I can see why it would be hard on the eyes. Also $10,500 not bad for alot of trike.

I recently bought a 700 sps 223 to have rechambered. From the get go the extractor was broken and when I brought it to the smith I found out only one lug was touching and the other was only about 20% contact. finally the crown was way out of wack too. my last remington is wonderful this one sucks. Im going back to nothing but savage.

I was a remy fan util the sps took the the place of the adl. I've had three and none would shoot to my satisfaction. IMHO remy's quality control has fallen off a cliff! They are no where near the gun they were 10 yrs ago. Now I'm a savage fan...go ahead and laugh, but I'll guarantee they'll out shoot your remy.

I have owned a number of Remingtons over the years. Most of them were Remington 700's. My experience has been that the quality has declined a great deal over the last 15 years. The bolt handles and the extracter cam on the action now tends to be very soft. This is not only painful to look at but does cause extraction problems. The older actions were much better. Most of the Remingtons shot well enough but the few that had problems had real problems. Whenever a product is produced in huge numbers then quality goes down. If the customer service does not pick up the dogs then their business will suffer over the long run. When profit is rated higher than quality then people will and should turn away from their products. I do not buy new Remingtons any longer. I do try to pick up the older actions if the price is right because it allows a cheap build if one is careful. I have owned and used some 1914 and 1917 Enfields that easily outshot my bad Remingtons. In fact, most of the Enfields will give most of the new Remingtons a run for their money.
Jerry

I just got new SPS in .223, what signs should I look for in it, what can go wrong?
one thing I don't like is the stock will probably replace it soon, but I glass bedded it so far, with the right loads it shouts well beyond 0.5" at 100 yards, that's with the crape scope and rings it came with, the extraction is fine, so what can go wrong?

Last edited:
Jink-), when you say it shouts well beyond 0.5" at 100 yards, are you saying the groups are much bigger than 1/2 inch or smaller.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.