Don’t always assume SPS is giving the best deal…

64gr bonded .224 noslers were $73 on SPS the other day. Midway had them for $36. Few days later SPS was down in the $50's. Seems more like programming issues or something on the SPS site.

Not sure if SPS is trying to take advantage of people that don't shop around?
Yes nosler is expensive but it seems like the going rate for a premium hunting bullet is about a buck a bullet. Nosler has been my go to for hunting so I'll pay it. For plinking there's definitely cheaper options.

Love the 53 VMAX. Great bc, accurate and explosive.
In my 1-14 Twist, .22-250 Rem, the 50 gr. V-Max and 52 gr. ELD-M's,.."Hammer", Sage Rats to, Yotes,.. FINE !
I don't even look at, Nosler Bullets anymore,.. as too Pricey for what, they "are",. IMO
Berger's at, "Warp speed" for, DRT on, Elk, Sierra's 6mm 107 gr. SMK's for, Playing on Steel and,.. V-Maxes for, Varmints !

Last edited:
Bergers are typically my go to but I would like to also have a bonded option that shoots well and performs at longer distances. If the claimed 1300fps expansion threshold is true the ABLR should be a good option.

My experience with the 142 in a 6.5-284 was that is was rather explosive at the closer ranges. I would put 0-200 performance as about on par with a typical cup and core. Animals died very quickly, so it clearly did it's job, but they did not hold up nearly as well as I was expecting and I wouldn't pay the premium for them in hindsight. They did shoot very well, though!

My experience with the 142 in a 6.5-284 was that is was rather explosive at the closer ranges. I would put 0-200 performance as about on par with a typical cup and core. Animals died very quickly, so it clearly did it's job, but they did not hold up nearly as well as I was expecting and I wouldn't pay the premium for them in hindsight. They did shoot very well, though!
I expect that given the low velocity expansion threshold. Bergers do the same. It's difficult to make a bullet that doesn't rip itself apart yet still expands at distance.

Ive had nothing but bad from SPS. Some 223 case blems I bought split lengthwise, they wouldnt refund my order. Then I ordered some 120gn Partition blems when I went to load them noticed they were very different ogives from my new partitions. No mention of this on the SPS page for them. No where on Noslers website do they say they make 2 kinds of 25cal Partitions. These have very different distances to lands. I emailed them but no reply, they ghosted me on those.

Local company to me, I hear they do good in the community. I really want to like them but look elsewhere now.
1706677899449.png

Ive had nothing but bad from SPS. Some 223 case blems I bought split lengthwise, they wouldnt refund my order. Then I ordered some 120gn Partition blems when I went to load them noticed they were very different ogives from my new partitions. No mention of this on the SPS page for them. No where on Noslers website do they say they make 2 kinds of 25cal Partitions. These have very different distances to lands. I emailed them but no reply, they ghosted me on those.

Local company to me, I hear they do good in the community. I really want to like them but look elsewhere now.
View attachment 538934
This very much reinforces my views on using blems/seconds only for plinking. While prices may be tempting on some bullets, I would be hard pressed to use them for hunting/long range shooting when there are other options available.

I bought some bullets from SPS during their sale before Christmas. I got my order and not everything I ordered was in it, but I was sure charged for it. I wrote them an email and nothing. I'll stick to buying Hornady, Barnes and some others at this point. A LGS has most Nosler bullets cheaper than SPS has blems for anyways.

Not a big fan of seconds. Some may be cosmetic but they also sell the ones they use to set up the machinery for a run. I have a feeling those are not just cosmetic but the ogives may not be consistent.