Does Optics glass diminish ?

reloaderlen

I was using a rifle the other evening and noticed the light gathering capability just don't seem to be what it was or either my eyes are getting worse. The next day I looked through it along with several others . All seemed nice and sharp during the day but late in the evening this one In question just seemed to lack the extended Twilight compared to the others. Yes leupold .
I have had it and many more for years . Can the coatings wear down or loose their effectiveness or maybe I need to move my eye exam up ?

I was using a rifle the other evening and noticed the light gathering capability just don't seem to be what it was or either my eyes are getting worse. The next day I looked through it along with several others . All seemed nice and sharp during the day but late in the evening this one In question just seemed to lack the extended Twilight compared to the others. Yes leupold .
I have had it and many more for years . Can the coatings wear down or loose their effectiveness or maybe I need to move my eye exam up ?

Scopes optical qualities do deteriorate over time. Lamination starts to let go, coatings flake off or get thinner, scratches can appear on the lenses etc. I have returned a few scopes to be reworked because of this. All were more than 20 years old before I had a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.