Does anyone hunt with a Sierra Matchking Bullet?

I've taken two deer with an SMK , 190 grain out of a 300 WM . 1st one was hit in the spinal cord/neck by mistake and died instantly. The 2nd one was hit square through both lungs with zero expansion and a loooooooong tracking job . Some have had great results, but I won't be using them on game again.

This was an exit of a 6.5-270 AI shooting 3120 fps SMK 142 on an antelope. Once I pulled the hide off it was a base ball size hole. 468 yard shot

Attachments

• IMG_5374.JPG
    IMG_5374.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,401
I also witnessed one deer taken at 60 yards with a 300 grain SMK out of a Lapua . It was absolutely crushed, maybe the heavier bullets are better.

I also use the .338 SMK's (300 grain), they are devastating on deer and elk. I have used 175 grain .308 and 168 grain 7mm on game and will not use them again.

I've shot a lot of coyotes with 243 70 grains and had instant kills with no exit wound.s I have shot only coyotes with 6.5 140s and had instant kills and the exit wound shows some expansion. 308 168s are basically a full metal jacket. coyotes spin once and run forever. Shot an elk through both shoulders and the exit hole was as small as the entrance. I even saw a prairie dog get up and run after being hit by a 308.

Shot a ton of whitetails with the 117 257 cal bullet out of my first issued 25/06 back in the 60's and 70's...none survived long once they got hammered...super accurate also.

52 gr SMK are not good for Prarie Dogs out of a .223 Rem. At shorter ranges they kill quickly at longer ranges they needle through, allowing the dog to crawl back into their hole unless hit multiple times. Switched to 55 grain softpoint with excellent results, with necessary accuracy.

There are too many great hunting bullets out there to use them on larger game and chance an animal to run off and not be recovered. Most hunts are too expensive to take a chance.

Good luck

Jerry

The Sierra tipped Matchkings work well for animals from deer to even elk using a 30/06 or .308 Winchester.

I would not use the non-tipped version, because as noted by others, many of those might just pass through and not effect enough damage to actually put the animal down fast enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.