Does anyone hunt with a Sierra Matchking Bullet?

One thing I do with the SMK (and Berger) is ensure the tips (meplat) are opened by running small drill bit in them. The tips are not exactly uniform and prone to deformities or being clogged up. Some speculate that is the cause of failures to expand.
Heard some guys use a meplat uniformer to open them a little more consistently.

Forty years ago I drove a 85 or 90 grain 6mm MatchKing at 2,950 FPS in 6mm Remington for coyotes. The bullets would never make an exit wound on a body shot inside 500 yards. I never had to shoot one a second time.

One time I lined up 3 prairie dogs at 150 yards the MatchKing load cut the third one in half. I set up a tripod on pond that was awfully low and started shooting frogs literally to pieces if I hit them setting in the water in the lower lip from across the pond some would have there heads blown off and all would be thrown out on the bank.

From what I read today I expect MatchKing Jackets are tougher now than they were then. I was considering starting a 300 Black out project with 230 gr MatchKing

It really varies by bullet and caliber. They are target bullets with thin jackets. At longer ranges in heavy for caliber bullets they can work. But there are so many good and accurate hunting bullets out there these days I'm not sure why you would feel the need to use them.

Real accurate, like them for targets, On varmints I wouldn't hesitate. I'm a shoulder shooter with larger game, wouldn't consider with all the great bonded hunting bullets out there, I want to break bone and won't ever take chances with a non bonded target bullet. Never shoot for groups with partitions and never break shoulders with match bullets. Just a rule I follow, it avoids long tracking adventures with big bucks in wet bogs.

6.5mm 150SMK @ 3113fps,183 yards, exit on a broadside pronghorn, no bones hit. The "Whop" was amazing. Pronghorn dropped without a twitch. Lungs were goo.
20180827_065951.jpg

Ive now switch my rifle from 6.5-270AI to .280AI and switched from SMK to TMK 160g. I still believe in SMKs but didn't like checking and reworking Metplates. Some boxes they were nice and open and others it was almost 100% FMJ and I would have to work on it.

This was a coues deer at 260 yard this year in Mexico. Once I pulled hide off it not only made a big hole it totally destroyed the spine. I was alone when I shot him and my shooting positions wasn't 100% stable so I didn't see impact but heard the woop sound so loud like Lances antelope I new he was dirt! Got back on him and yep down right where I shot him. Later I discovered why

Attachments

• IMG-1520.jpg
    IMG-1520.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 186
It really varies by bullet and caliber. They are target bullets with thin jackets. At longer ranges in heavy for caliber bullets they can work. But there are so many good and accurate hunting bullets out there these days I'm not sure why you would feel the need to use them.

Smacked my biggest elk 3 times in the boiler room with 300g smks out of my edge at 672,651,630 and it still walked 50yds into the pines. Tests in wet phone books were all over the place from perfect mushrooms to flat sideways profile. I won't use them again

I doubt I would use the same bullet today. we have lots more bullets to choose from and a lot more information today than i had in 1977. Given a choice I would rather be younger, poorer, fewer choices 43 years ago than be better informed with more choices I can afford to.day

The 183's in my group of friends so far have been money in 7 rem mags. I load 2 of them and they are cruising 2975 in one and 3035 in the other. Retumbo and Rl26 respectively. In mine Im running the 168 bergers and my brother has 162 amax. The 27 ojive bullets the nose crumples in than rips open causing major damage!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.