Does anyone hunt with 22-250 anymore?

The weather has been perfect for calling in the morning the last three days. Got this male at sunrise and missed another single at the third stand which hung up at 340 yards. Did five sets today and had coyotes at 4. Two sets they just would not come in closer than about 600 yards. These had certainly been called in before.

Bonus was when I got gas today in a rural town a rancher asked me if I was killing any coyotes as I had my whites on. I told him I got one. He said to come hunt his ranch. Gave me his number and said he has almost 4000 acres (which we marked in OnX) and a lot of coyotes. Said just call me so I know you are hunting. Even marked where he was seeing them. Said he got one off the deck a few days ago that was in with the cows.

Was a good week of permission on new ground. Picked up about 8000 acres of permission.
Years ago I would drive around here in GA and try to find the farmers while they were out working. I would introduce myself and told them I was local and ask for permission to hunt coyotes. Got about 50/50 permission. Now it's a lot harder. People just don't give up permission and a lot of their land is already leased to deer/turkey hunters. Farmers get to charge enough for a lease to pay the land taxes.

Years ago I would drive around here in GA and try to find the farmers while they were out working. I would introduce myself and told them I was local and ask for permission to hunt coyotes. Got about 50/50 permission. Now it's a lot harder. People just don't give up permission and a lot of their land is already leased to deer/turkey hunters. Farmers get to charge enough for a lease to pay the land taxes.
I'm getting permission on a lot of new stuff because fur prices are low. We also have about 40 inches of snow so it's tough to get around. I've been using snow shoes to get to my spots to call. I spotted a single coyote on my way home that I think I could have snuck up on but it was a mile off the road and I was pretty worn out by then after all the sets. Decided to hunt him another day and skin the one I had.

The first 2 deer that I ever saw shot where with a 22-250.
The first one that I owned was in a ruger #1 that I bought for a donor.
It acounted for my first pd over 500 yards.
The next one was an Olympic arms ar-15. That shot lights out. Sold it to someone that wanted it more than me.
But in the last 2 days I shot 3 deer with a Savage msr10 precision that I rebarreled to 22 creedmoor.
One was at 300 the other 2 were a little over 350

Years ago I used to have a Remington 700 chambered in 22-250 that I shot a lot of prairie dogs with. Time went by and the rifle was rechambered in a different caliber and forgotten about. Recently while going through and old ammo box I came across some loaded 22-250 rounds and that got me to thinking about how much I had enjoyed the round. Now I am thinking about getting a barrel chambered in 22-250 or maybe another rifle in that caliber. Time to start saving some coins for another project I guess
I've worn out four 22.250 barrels cleaning as per my competition benchrest barrels, so I won't be wasting money on another 22.250. Perhaps the small rifle primer Creedmore case will deliver better accuracy . I have shot with friends carrying Swifts and 22.250's but my 22 PPC's seem to stay with them or better when we are all using 50 to 55 grain bullets. I would like to build a 22 on the small rifle Creedmore case and try a suitable twist for 70 to 80 grain bullets. I'm done with the standard 22.250 so next rifle will be a 22BR using the .740 long jackets to make 53 grain projectiles, that's if jackets are ever available again.

I've worn out four 22.250 barrels cleaning as per my competition benchrest barrels, so I won't be wasting money on another 22.250. Perhaps the small rifle primer Creedmore case will deliver better accuracy . I have shot with friends carrying Swifts and 22.250's but my 22 PPC's seem to stay with them or better when we are all using 50 to 55 grain bullets. I would like to build a 22 on the small rifle Creedmore case and try a suitable twist for 70 to 80 grain bullets. I'm done with the standard 22.250 so next rifle will be a 22BR using the .740 long jackets to make 53 grain projectiles, that's if jackets are ever available again.
I have a few thousand 22 jackets left, mostly J4, but like you stated, with the difficulty in finding new ones, Corbin still had some .705" and .800" the last time I checked, I am reluctant to part with mine.

Last edited:
I have had several .22-.250's since 1968. I started out with 14 twists now all 4, .22-.250's have 7.7 twist barrels. Bullet of choice is the 75 ELDM at about 3150. Powder of choice is any of the 4350's - Hodgdon. Accurate, IMR or Shooter's world. Ball powders like R-S Hunter & Staball work with magnum primers. Low price bullets & powder charges in mid 30 grain range - cheap to shoot.

Experience has shown the 75 ELDM at about 3150 fps, to be a capable performer up to 600 yards. The Hornady 4DOF ballistic program supports this.

The 75 ELD also has a low (good) form factor, under 1.0.
Screenshot (600).png

For a read on form factor effect:

"However, form factor is a more universal indicator of a bullets efficiency and performance potential. The form factor of a bullet is essentially a measure of how efficiently a bullet flies, regardless of the bullet's weight." and "The reason this is important is because if a bullet has a high BC just because it's heavy, it will suffer from having a depressed muzzle velocity, and performance will not be as good as the high BC implies." Berger guys did the bold & italics.

A read of page 346-347 of Berger Bullet, 1st Edition, Reloading Manual describes the .22-.250 favorably.

The .22 CM is on my list for a replacement barrel - Rem 7 1/2 primers are avail at my LGS. The Rem 7 1/2's seem to do better with ball powders than other SRP's. .22 CM brass is availble with SRP's

A pic of my latest rodent rifle. What a deal, donor M77 MKII, like new condition picked up at local Cabello's for under $300 inc. veteran's discount.
IMG_1903.JPG

Sunshades have been proven to be useful, all my rifles when they are being used have a sunshade. This sunshade is from MK Machining, 3D printed nylon. For shooting deers, I would opt for a solid copper bullet of 62 or so grains & limit shots to 300 yards or less.

Last edited:
I have a nice 22-250 bull barrel for a Rem 700 for sale.
I took the barrel off and replaced it with a Shaw 22 creedmore . I also have a custom stock for the above barrel. All for $150 + shipping.

I've taken over 2000 groundhogs & rockchucks with my 2 .22-250 XP-100 handguns. I also use them on crop damage permits close to housing developments in WV. I use 40 gr. Nosler BTs A high shoulder shot drops the deer and there is never an exit.

Good question. And were the barrels Stainless or Mild Steel. Just curious.
2 chrome moly and 2 stainless all cleaned for maximum life. I shoot mostly rabbits and foxes at ranges from 150 out to 500 yards every second weekend so I average about 150 to 200 shots a month in the field. The rabbits are a bit scarcer now and I'm getting older so my time travelling out in the field is just about over. There's nothing wrong with chrome moly barrel life if you know how to clean them, never leave copper eating solvents like Sweets 762 in longer than an hour. It's great for fast copper removal. Clean the barrel well and free from powder then oil straight away to save pitting. I clean every 10 rounds and carry a one piece cleaning rod in a back pack, handle in pack shaft through leather strap. The 22.250 is a hunting cartridge and a waste of time 100 and 200 yard competition.

2 chrome moly and 2 stainless all cleaned for maximum life. I shoot mostly rabbits and foxes at ranges from 150 out to 500 yards every second weekend so I average about 150 to 200 shots a month in the field. The rabbits are a bit scarcer now and I'm getting older so my time travelling out in the field is just about over. There's nothing wrong with chrome moly barrel life if you know how to clean them, never leave copper eating solvents like Sweets 762 in longer than an hour. It's great for fast copper removal. Clean the barrel well and free from powder then oil straight away to save pitting. I clean every 10 rounds and carry a one piece cleaning rod in a back pack, handle in pack shaft through leather strap. The 22.250 is a hunting cartridge and a waste of time 100 and 200 yard competition.
Thanks Bruce

I have a feeling, with no science behind it (I'm not a materials engineer) that chrome moly might outlast stainless. Would you say you have seen that?

Thanks Bruce

I have a feeling, with no science behind it (I'm not a materials engineer) that chrome moly might outlast stainless. Would you say you have seen that?
I haven't recorded a comparison between the two barrel steels other than to highlight the extra care required to get good life from chrome moly. They usually die early due to neglect rather than being shot out. Once they are pitted due to neglect no amount of metal lap lapping will restore them.
After a day walking in the field, returning to camp I will clean a chrome moly barrel before I open a beer, eat or lay down to rest. Stainless is a better choice if subject to neglect.