1st fox with the new 22/250

jamie 22/250

went out for a quick look about last night to see if we could see the odd fox. and i came across one at 177 yards with lazer rangefinder.

the barley fields have been cut in the area and most the time its very good to see the foxes mooching around the cut fields for mice and other small pests.

my mate was lamping from the 4x4 and i got out to rest on the bale in the field

i knew the fox wouldnt hang about for long so had to lock on quick and take the shot.

he dropped where he stood. but i would have like to have caught him up the chest more. i guess he moved abit as i pulled the trigger but at least he didnt suffer and had a quick end. here is the picture.

the bullet was a factory 55grain federal softpoint but sure made a mess !
eek.gif

sorry about the gore
DSC05460.jpg

Last edited:
welcome from another brit shooter Congrats on your first fox mate not a bad distance neather i remember droping my first with the ackley you should try some long range varminting with the 22.250 great when you make contact further out
afraid cant see pic

That's a good looking rig....give us the specs and maybe some more pics of your rifle.

its a winchester stealth heavy barrel 22/250 with h& stock with 26inch barrel and 1in14 twist

it has a ase cqb mod in m18x1 sako thread which is made for 22 centrefires and is the best mod for the 22/250 in my eyes. really takes the boom away from the fast round.

i have a jewell trigger here for the rifle now just got to get round to fitting it. otherwise i have the standard trigger on there at the moment which has been adjusted to give a lighter chrisper pull. its pretty good to be honest and breaks well and clean.

the scope is a mtc viper 4x16x50 with scb rectical. it had 30mm tube and side px. for a £240 pound scope here in england its optics are as good as some of the £400 to £500 pound scopes ! the crosshair system is very very good for rimfires as it gives differnt aim points. it also as ir with a number of different settings.

im not sure you have them in the usa but i think you would be surprized of the build and clearness od the optics. here is there web page and there customer care is the best of any i have seen.

gary and sammy that own the company are top people and are into there shooting to and very nice people. http://www.mtcoptics.co.uk/

overall im very pleased with the set up but once the jewell trigger is fitted and i sort a zeiss scope out for it. the viper scope will go back on my rimfire. next step then is homeloading.

i think the winchester is a super rifle its soild well made easy to use rifle.
the only thing i would like it a mag in it as it would suite my shooting better then push feeding.

as you no the winchester isnt as popular over here as the remmington rifles. whichis a shame really as i think if people tried them the would buy one.

savage and howa are taking off well here at the moment and the savages are tackdrivers so i guess price,accuracy,and the trigger on them is a cracking selling point:)

here is a couple of pics of the rifle. the scope on it in these pictures was a bushnell elite 6x24x50 elite tactial. i no longer
have that now because the field of view is a bit small and im not keen on mildots.

apart from that the optics was super and great under the lamp to.

Picture038-1.jpg

Picture039-2-1.jpg

What ammo does it like, and what kind of groups @ 100 - 200 yds? I was looking @ this gun, but opted for a Savage 12 LRPV 1:12" twist in 22-250 w/a Leupold 6.5-20x50mmLR with Varmint Hunter's reticle. Pretty nasty.

First fox I shot was 72 yds, pics to gory to post (head shot, Speer 52gr HPs).

What ammo does it like, and what kind of groups @ 100 - 200 yds? I was looking @ this gun, but opted for a Savage 12 LRPV 1:12" twist in 22-250 w/a Leupold 6.5-20x50mmLR with Varmint Hunter's reticle. Pretty nasty.

First fox I shot was 72 yds, pics to gory to post (head shot, Speer 52gr HPs).

havent tried any groups at 200 yards yet mate.

as for bullets it shoots the cheap privi ammo well and sako softpoints in 50 grain, 55 grain federal softpoints, and winchester 50g silver tip ammo.

grouping at 100 yards is 1/4 to 1/2 depending on ammo and me :D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.