Do you use a taper crimp on your AR-15 .223 ammo?

You might look into LEE Crimp Die... Your die is a taper crimp, so it's a taper crimp only? it's not going to roll or factory crimp right. Most die that crimp adjusts by moving the die depth up and down in the press.
I looked for "LE Wilson taper crimp die" from your description on Wilson, but I couldn't find one.? Cheers
My bad. It's actually a Redding die. I'll correct my post.

It's a taper crimp only.

My bad. It's actually a Redding die. I'll correct my post.

It's a taper crimp only.
No problem, I understand, believe me, I've been there. Save yourself the anguish, just pick up a .223 Rem LEE Factory Crimp Die... They're cheap and they work great. Good luck, Cheers.

I also shoot the Hornady 60 gr. V-Max in my varmint/target AR , I don't think one should be disappointed with a 3 shot group of under a half inch depending on what you are doing or scope you are using. While a 3 shot group of under a half inch wouldn't raise any eyebrows in benchrest circles it is certainly adequate for varmint hunting, that being said I put more faith in 5 shot groups. The only time I shoot 3 shot groups is to check my zero of already established loads at 200 yds. and beyond. The 60 ft. difference between 2 shots that was mentioned could be a variety of reasons, primer, case, seating of primer and or bullet, etc. A 5 shot group would tell more. I do not crimp any bullets unless they have a cannelure. The best 5 shot group I have shot with my setup is .566 center to center @ 100 yds. 20 inch Shaw bull barrel with a 3 X 9 hunting style scope calibrated for .223 Rem.
Lake City Brass
60 gr. Hornady V-Max
23 grs. WC-844 military surplus powder ( equivalent to H-335) of which I have several lbs. and have shot for years.
WSR primers
OAL 2.270"
Sad to say I have not chronographed this load as of this time but it is consistently accurate and falls in with the drop according to ballistic charts out to 400 yds. In most hunting loads I'll sacrifice a few feet of velocity for superior accuracy.

I'v plenty of all these components, even 77gr SMK, but primers are up to $150 ( CCI 41 last purchased from Midway 2022) !!!
I have small rifle primers of various flavors, but I am not in a rush. I just want to find a load optimized for a 5.56 24 inch 1:8 bull barrel and you gave me a starting point

Just a side note have you guys checked out the 53gr vmax? It has a better bc than the 60 gr vmax. I've been using them in my AR and they work well on sagerats and two badgers that we got.

Just a side note have you guys checked out the 53gr vmax? It has a better bc than the 60 gr vmax. I've been using them in my AR and they work well on sagerats and two badgers that we got.
I put a pause on my load development until things get to "norm" again. I have various .224 projectiles from 40 grains to 80 grains, various types and brands but I load what I NEED now not what I want. I have old cheap round for just shooting cans

I put a pause on my load development until things get to "norm" again. I have various .224 projectiles from 40 grains to 80 grains, various types and brands but I load what I NEED now not what I want. I have old cheap round for just shooting cans
Okay but here locally I'm finding 53 gr vmax for pretty good prices. Just something to consider.

Here is Eastern Oregon. A very small rural community. I understand where you're coming from though. I've cut back on my shooting just to save my supply. I have gone out when the rats were out and the grass was low. I didn't do a long session and picked only high percentage hit shots. i think I burned twenty rounds that day. The most I shot in one session this year.

Here is Eastern Oregon. A very small rural community. I understand where you're coming from though. I've cut back on my shooting just to save my supply. I have gone out when the rats were out and the grass was low. I didn't do a long session and picked only high percentage hit shots. i think I burned twenty rounds that day. The most I shot in one session this year.
It is going to be over 100 degrees for the next two weeks in my place. I am poiled in my old age, want cooler temps. And no, I can't move.
What do you load those 53 vmax for a standard AR type? (16 inch, 1;8)

I haven't really done much load development with the 53 vmax. Pretty close to my 55 vmax loads. Didn't see much difference using either TAC or H4895. I've used them in my M4 (16") and my HBAR (20"0 both 1-9" twist barrels. Both are builds I've done and just swap the uppers on to my Bushmaster built lower. An old Armalite match trigger from the 90's.