Do you see a node here?

Bbear

I didn't have much time at the range but I did have time to shoot a 5-shot ladder @ 300 yards. Temperature was around 90 with a 12 mph wind coming from 210 deg. (basically, from my 6:30-7pm position).
Bullet is the 142 ABLR out of a Win. 70 sporter 26" 1-9 Bbl.
Rest of the load is:

Nosler virgin brass
IMR 7828SSC from 61-65gr in 1 gr increments

After each shot I walked down and marked the target then back @ 10 minutes.

Other than #1 & #2, I really didn't see any node.

What's y'all's diagnosis?

Attachments

• 7828ssc.jpg
    7828ssc.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 110
I didn't have much time at the range but I did have time to shoot a 5-shot ladder @ 300 yards. Temperature was around 90 with a 12 mph wind coming from 210 deg. (basically, from my 6:30-7pm position).
Bullet is the 142 ABLR out of a Win. 70 sporter 26" 1-9 Bbl.
Rest of the load is:

Nosler virgin brass
IMR 7828SSC from 61-65gr in 1 gr increments

After each shot I walked down and marked the target then back @ 10 minutes.

Other than #1 & #2, I really didn't see any node.

What's y'all's diagnosis?
No. Way to much vertical dispersion.

Might go back and try some .5 gr increments between 1 and 3 and see if anything shows. But those are the 'slowest' loads of the bunch.

It looks like about an inch between #1 & #2 ?? That's not bad at 300 yards. Shoot some groups at 300 with 61, 61.5, 62 and see what you get. Also if you color the bullets with a colored marker you don't have to go down range every shot. So color the 61 gr yellow, 61.5 black, 62 green, etc. Try it and see which colors show the best, don't use wax paper.

Hey, Bbear, what I meant by "I concur" is that I believe you have a node in that range. Run a few three shot groups with that range with .2 or .3 grain increments (61.3, 61.6, 61.9) and see where they go. Look at the vertical dispersion and don't worry about the horizontal and show us some more target results.
Don't worry about the speed. If they don't hit the bullseye it doesn't matter how fast they get there. But I would try to find a SD under 12.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.