Do I really need Competition Dies sets to start?

I use both kinds of dies, custom and regular RCBS, LEE or Hornady. ask the pro's. on

this site. can not go wrong. me personally, I read and use. very good results.gun)

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!

I called Redding this morning and the very helpful guy there suggested I get their Redding Master Hunter Two Die Set instead for less than half the price and I also don't have to deal with neck bushing sets.

That left me some money to get a couple of basic die sets for other calibers and still have $100 left over!

Thanks! Robert

The Forster is still going to be cheaper, and still better. Plus down the road you can upgrade the seater by buying the micrometer head by itself. The Forster full length die is also a little better by design alone. I use just about all the big brand names, and by far Redding is the least impressive for the dollar involved in my book.
gary

Redding dies are good, so are Forester Bonanza BR dies and 1/3 the cost

However, before you spend a ton of money with Midway.

Google, "Shooters Corner" and look at "The List"

Bob White is old time BR shooter and sells tons of used reloading equipment and guns.

The List is never totally up to date, so call him with your list of what you are looking for and bet he has it at a great deal. Presses, dies, scales, bullet pullers, calipers you name it he has it.

He is 110% one of the good guys and will never treat you wrongs. Shoots on the weekends so travels many Fridays and Mondays.

BountyHunter;1177470... However said:
Thanks for that tip brother but after months of looking into this and reading online and otherwise studying I pulled the trigger with Midway yesterday. Plus, I had three $350 Visa gift cards from per diem pay on a few jobs I'd been hording and it was time to use them. I'll bookmark his site for sure.

Overall I think I got a decent setup to start with and hopefully none of it is crap. I'm very thankful that the people who posted here at least made me think about the dies in a different way and only spent $125 instead of $250 plus.

No doubt I'll have lots of opportunity to learn more and change my setup as I get some hands-on experience.

What I'm trying to figure out now is which of the 8-12 suggested powder to start with. They really ought to sell smaller jars for people to test and try without buy a thousand rounds worth!

Thanks gents! ~Robert

Thanks for that tip brother but after months of looking into this and reading online and otherwise studying I pulled the trigger with Midway yesterday. Plus, I had three $350 Visa gift cards from per diem pay on a few jobs I'd been hording and it was time to use them. I'll bookmark his site for sure.

Overall I think I got a decent setup to start with and hopefully none of it is crap. I'm very thankful that the people who posted here at least made me think about the dies in a different way and only spent $125 instead of $250 plus.

No doubt I'll have lots of opportunity to learn more and change my setup as I get some hands-on experience.

What I'm trying to figure out now is which of the 8-12 suggested powder to start with. They really ought to sell smaller jars for people to test and try without buy a thousand rounds worth!

Thanks gents! ~Robert

there is 7000 grains in a lb of powder. A light load in a 300 WM is 70 grains. that is only 100 rounds.

It will be very easy to pick no more than three different powders to try. I bet you settle on either H4350 or H4831SC or H1000.

No,

I turned out lots of .300 WM that shot better than me with Lee neck sizer and Hornady seating die I bought used.

I do think the Micrometer adjustment seating dies are well worth it for the convenience and you can get the Forster for 60 bucks shipped on ebay

I will say that Bushing dies like the redding type S are the bees knees both for accuracy and brass life. Brass life being a big deal if say you shoot a .338 LM or similarly expensive round. 2-3 more firings adds up.

there is 7000 grains in a lb of powder. A light load in a 300 WM is 70 grains. that is only 100 rounds.

It will be very easy to pick no more than three different powders to try. I bet you settle on either H4350 or H4831SC or H1000.

I bet he should give 7828 SSC and 7977 a try, as well. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.