Do all rifle???

I know this is the long range hunting forum but out to 400 yards I'd stick with my 7 mm08 . After that distance I'd probably have to say the tried and true 300 win . With that being stated though the op ask for 1 I'd go with the 300 win for a 1 and only . But then I'm a big fan of 338 pills to . So many ladies to dance with at the ball

Op;

Do all rifle???

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"If you had to choose one rifle to hunt everything from antelope to elk, what would it be? This rifle must use components that are readily available. It must also be a caliber that is inherently accurate. No need to waste 600 rounds of 1000 round barrel life doing load development.
I want to build a rifle but can't decide what to build."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

My choice this year for my do all rifle:
is a Seekins Havak Element.
Being modified for my specific hunting needs & style with a Bartlein #4 carbon, 21" 6.5cal. 7.5 twist, mod400BB SS core material.
Chambered for Sherman 6.5 MAX.
Jäger 7.0 oz. reflex suppressor.
Topped with NF NX8 2.5-20 F2.
In Seekins .870 Rings, on integral 20 moa rail. Loaded with both 156 Berger's & lighter copper mono's.
Manageable recoil, Easy to carry.
Should weigh in just over 8#.
Components are available. Should be easy to find an accurate load for & the barrel material choice is said to increase barrel life.
I find 6.5 caliber a pleasure to shoot accurately & confidently, important factors for shot placement.
Fun to shoot & practice
at steel or rocks waaay out there.
And with the right bullet choice & accurate shot placement, capable of taking Antelope to Elk, up close to as far as I'm comfortable, confident, & proficient as my self imposed Long Range distance.

Ya.... that'll work.

6.5 MAX or 7MAX would be an excellent choice. Either one on a medium action. ADG headstamped fully formed brass, dies, & reamer available from Sherman.

Custom loaded ammo available soon.

Good luck on your "do all 1 rifle" build.

("Son, you know she's a Wildcat".... "I know Dad.. ain't she cool")

Last edited:
Well, I'm kind of in the middle of this build....newb's like me always try to build 1 rifle for all.

Win70 action - checked for true, add 3 panel checkering to bolt knob, timney 2.25lb trigger

Bell & Carlson Sporter stock - add steel grip cap, ARCA rail and flush cups

Brux 24" barrel chambered in 300 Sherman. Front hooded sight adder.

All finished in Cerakote Elite Black.

Is I had it to do over again, I would do 300 Sherman or 280AI.

If you had to choose one rifle to hunt everything from antelope to elk, what would it be? This rifle must use components that are readily available. It must also be a caliber that is inherently accurate. No need to waste 600 rounds of 1000 round barrel life doing load development. I want to build a rifle but can't decide what to build.
The .300 WM remains my goto chambering for antelope and elk size game up 1K yards. Load it with 215 Berger, and you're golden. "If" the NUT behind the trigger is wasting 600 rounds doing load development, there is definitely something wrong.

Last edited:
If you had to choose one rifle to hunt everything from antelope to elk, what would it be? This rifle must use components that are readily available. It must also be a caliber that is inherently accurate. No need to waste 600 rounds of 1000 round barrel life doing load development. I want to build a rifle but can't decide what to build.
7mm

18" carbon barrel tikka, supressed 7 saum shooting 180s just under 2800 is my all round gun. A mid sized 7mm varients shooting 160+ gr bullets is really hard to beat (280 ai, 7 saum/wsm, 7 rem mag, 284 win)

Attachments

• IMG_20201215_192533331.jpg
    IMG_20201215_192533331.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 160
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.