Do all rifle???

If you had to choose one rifle to hunt everything from antelope to elk, what would it be? This rifle must use components that are readily available. It must also be a caliber that is inherently accurate. No need to waste 600 rounds of 1000 round barrel life doing load development. I want to build a rifle but can't decide what to build
Jumping in,
I've taken a couple white tails at distance with a 300WM and smaller game a little closer with a 7mm Mag. Excellent barrel life for both, I've got both tuned in for driving tacks at the range, AAANNNDDD possibly even more important than anything else right now, same primers and you can feed both of them just about any magnum powder with good results - more so my 300 WM and it used up my heavy .308 boolits my shorter service rifle didn't like so much. I think you'd be happy with either, I had a hard time choosing only one.

30-06, see avatar...but seriously there are a ton of options that will fit the bill as mentioned here. 300WM is a proven and capable option as any. Consider recoil, you won't notice it much in the field but in practice it may be an issue. I've done a lot with the .270 Weatherby in the past and am known to dabble in 6.5 and 7mm variants. But I'm only out to 400 yards max for hunting so far. If your going long build a 7mm with the slower twist. I personally like the option of heavier bullets that the 7mm has over the 6.5. Something simple like a Rem Mag, .284 Winchester, 280 AI, SAUM, Nosler, etc. If factory ammo is a requirement think long and hard before going too out there too far into the wildcat realm. Don't get caught up in the paper performance specs. Realize the concept of diminishing returns. If you are shooting ranges where you have to twist knobs then a few extra clicks for a 280 AI vs a 7mm Sherman aren't of much concern. It's when you have to consider the energy on target at super extended ranges that the minutia begins to matter.

Attachments

• TIKKA T3X BOLT FACE.jpg
    TIKKA T3X BOLT FACE.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
If you had to choose one rifle to hunt everything from antelope to elk, what would it be? This rifle must use components that are readily available. It must also be a caliber that is inherently accurate. No need to waste 600 rounds of 1000 round barrel life doing load development. I want to build a rifle but can't decide what to build.
For me it would be a 7mm Re Mag anything heavier the recoil kills my accuracy

Like others have said, given the animal size and component availability that you asked for I think the obvious choice is the boring old 300 win mag. You can do just about anything with a 300 win mag. And most of the other cartridges listed give up something to the 300 win mag. It's been around forever and is so good at what it does that it isn't going to be replaced. I did just yesterday chamber a 300prc but it's really just for the fun of it and because I am no where near a one rifle guy.

Can't go wrong with a 7wsm or 300wsm. I like the short mags just because it's a weight trim all the way around and I like the shoulders better.
Right on, got my 300wsm 10years ago, now my brother in law and his two sons shoot 300wsm's also, I hand load for all of us, between us 8 moose and several deer taken. I load Nosler Accubonds, BTips, Swift Scirrocos and Hornady ELD-X. Two of us use the Noslers and Scirrocos and two use Hornadys. The Hornadys have shown much better terminal performance on Moose than I except given their light jacket and no bonding, most have been through and through shots.

.280 Ackley in a 7lb rifle with scope. Easy to pack, inherently accurate, recoil isn't bad (especially with a brake). Stainless action for smoothness and rust prevention. If on a budget a Tikka action, if not, the new Cadex Titanium action.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.