DIY Target Camera

Lethal_Chica

I wanted to try a camera solution for viewing targets at long range, and the price of the commercial versions seemed a little pricey. Maybe I will just invest in a high-end spotting scope, but for now I put this together for $105.00.

I tried it today from 130 yards using a previously shot target - Pic below. The range on the transmitter says 2 miles. I know, I doubt 2 miles as well. My shooting range is 600 yards, if I can get that I would be super happy.

The camera is 720p. I tried to find another higher resolution option, but that is what I came up with for now. If I end up not using it for shooting because it doesn't work as intended, I will just use it to prank my kid nephew ;)

I bought everything on Amazon. I hope to try it at the range tomorrow at some distance. Probably mount the camera on a stake or maybe a cheap tripod I have.

1591984088050.png

1591984101460.png

1591984112640.png

1591984124692.png

Last edited:
Nice.
I got cameras and video over wifi converters off Tmart.com. use the 12v gel cell batteries cycled out of UPS systems. >8 years ago the setup cost me ~$140. Prolly much cheaper now.
The USB worked on Samsung phone, tablet and win 7. Still works on all the above plus Win 10 laptop.
If you buy Yagi antennas, you will get at least a mile. Aligning them is easy.

Last edited:
Nice.
I got cameras and video over wifi converters off Tmart.com. use the 12v gel cell batteries cycled out of UPS systems.
At the bench, I use a tablet or laptop.
If you buy Yagi antennas, you will get at least a mile.

Sweet! Good to know. I am using an app on my Samsung Note 10 plus.. but I think I am going to connect it to a tablet.

That's awesome! We're mainly looking for bullet holes so that would work fine. What are you using to view the picture/video?

Sweet! Good to know. I am using an app on my Samsung Note 10 plus.. but I think I am going to connect it to a tablet.
Since buying a high quality spotting scope, the gear has sat in a box. No time to go shoot >1000. :confused:

Last edited:
This is interesting!
I just look through the Scope for the close shots . When we get out long range the Old Spotting scope and a phone scope attached has worked out to 3027 yards for me so far .
I can see the splash on steel at that distance.
Let us know how this ends up ! We just shot milk jugs at 1 mile last weekend . Great time!

Rum Man

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.