Discontinued Berger Ammo 300 Win Mag 215s and industry evolving, new cartridges

The ABM/Berger 215 ammo said right in the description that it was 3.60" but apparently a lot of shooters didn't understand what that meant. I have have shot it in both of my 300 WMs. In the heavy barreled rifle it shot well for me but not in the lighter barreled rifle.
The 215 is a fairly forgiving bullet to load for so it shouldn't be that hard to get someone to work up a similar load for your friend's rifle. Start with the 3.60 COAL and if necessary try a few variations of COAL shorter and longer for tuning. For powder, I think most use H1000 but RL26 and a couple others work well too. I didn't have any problem getting the 215s to shoot well in both my rifles. For the lighter barreled rifle, I had to slow down the muzzle velocity about 100 fps lower than the Berger/ ABM ammo to get it to shoot well. If you are starting from scratch, I think Norma 300WM brass is the same as the ABM brass. A good chornograph and some range time and it shouldn't be that hard. I think I still have 3 boxes of the ABM ammo left because I actually prefer to shoot my own reloads tuned to the specific rifle.

Andrew - in the example - are your adjustments to improve the new cartridge? or to make sure it won't chamber in a regular 243? or to improve the new cartridge because you had to change it to not chamber in regular 243?

Anyone - Does every new SAMMI cartridge have to make sure it won't chamber in another existing SAMMI cartridge's chamber? and make sure no existing cartridge will chamber in it's new chamber? Might we run out of geometry?

Also, I get that hand loading can solve the immediate problem - but I am trying to understand for the industry, for the people that don't hand load, how we move forward. (I personally hand load and have adapted to newer cartridges that give me the flexibility of either.) The two main objections I encounter with newer cartridges is over the counter ammunition availability worldwide (scarce) and potential for the cartridge to become an orphan. The Berger 300 WM ammo in 215s was a lot easier to convince someone to use..

FWIW...I was just politely corrected by a more knowledgeable member here - good to get these things correct -

"Just FYI, the abbreviation is SAAMI for the Sporting Arms & Ammunition Manufacturers Institute."

and I will spend some time on their website as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts