dirty bolt face? oxidation?

D Scott

Hi , had a question, I bought a savage LRP in a 260 rem I looked at the bolt face (before I shot it) and it looked like it was covered in crud, I preceded to clean it Gingerly with some rem oil and a tooth brush but no go, I ended up using some 0000 steel wool , bronze brush, and a little corner of a scotch brite pad again gently, to clean off what looked like rust or surface staining, its mostly clean now except a little near the ejector pin. I called savage and they said never use anything to clean it, well too late, have I damaged the face or what,? its hard to believe it came from the factory looking like an old used gun there are no visable stratches on the bolt face. whats next if anything? thanks Scott

I'd say you did ok. I'm confident you didn't ruin anything.

I'd also be a bit more confident if someone like J E Custom chimed in.

Set up your dies properly and you shouldn't have a problem.

If you don't reload you still shouldn't have a problem.

As royinidaho said, you didn't hurt anything. You only cleaned the surface and should not have
changed the head space with that kind of cleaning.

If the bolt face was touched by someones sweaty finger at the factory without any oil
for protection it stained it because it had the time from there to you.

Not surprised that they said the old cover your *** statement. (they all have a lawyer
mentality).

Don't worry : shoot it and enjoy.

J E CUSTOM

Thank you gentleman for the feedback, 20, bucks no need to worry either way, but for a new gun they should really do better, thanks again,

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.