"open the bolt face"

pig ranch deadeye

My gunsmith told me he could rechamber my .270 win to the .270 Weatherby Mag. He said he would "open the bolt face." What exactly does that mean? How would he do it? Would that leave the bolt weaker?

It is a common practice to "open" the bolt face. That is to enlarge the bolt face to accommodate the larger diameter of the Mag cartridge. That is really all the factory does when you get a rifle for a standard .473 case head or a .534 case head. It does no harm. Sometimes there may be factors that make it more or less difficult. Such as where the extractor is located and what type it is.

It's actually done vertically in the mill.
In this case, the extractor has to also be fitted and riveted.
If it requires the ejector plunger to be moved, then the face will require bushing and a new ejector hole drilled. I know I do this when going to a 404 Jeffrey case or a Rigby case head. I can't remember if it's necessary on a standard magnum bolt face.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.