Coned Bolt face.

4ked Horn

What is it and how does it help feeding. I just read about it on Dan Liljas website in an article about Nesika Bay actions and I would sure like to see one.

[ QUOTE ]
What is it and how does it help feeding. I just read about it on Dan Liljas website in an article about Nesika Bay actions and I would sure like to see one.

[/ QUOTE ] Dern 4Ked Horn I don't have a clue of where to get a pic to post for you of a cone bolt. But maybe if you can set down with a scratch pad and pencil we can maybe make this work. Draw a triangle, at the top of the triangle draw a line cutting off the top and erase above the line what is left is the image of the bolt locking lugs and the bolt face. Now think about or draw a line on both sides of the lugs with an opening in front of the bolt face. Does it look to you like a funnel? I hope that's is a help, cause it's beyond my limited abilities of expression to describe in any other terms. I hope that helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OK it is a flat boltface with a tapered area around the case head/case rim. The funnel shape just helps center the case head but the case head still recoils against a flat boltface?? Maybe looks like a .700" diameter dinner plate?

Yes?

The bolt face is indeed flat, starting from the edge of the bolt face, the locking lugs are tapered instead of being square. Remember the triangle with the top cut off? The cartridge head does recoil against a flat bolt face. It's main difference is the breech end of the barrel before the chamber allows for a funnel shape, because the end of the bolt has the shape of the outside of a funnel. The vast amount of actions that use this style are push feed single shots (not all) Common actions of yesteryear that used cone-breaching are the Springfield 1903, the Enfield 1917 starting as the pattern 1913 or P-13 as you can see this is not what one would call a new idea. In conclusion if you have any of the above old timers standing around take a look. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The "coned bolt" does not help feeding at all. It is the angled portion of the barrel trunion that the coned bolt fits in to that helps the feeding. I have several custom actions with them.

Chawslton

OK I understand now. Thanks for the help everyone.

3Six. Your description makes much more sence now that I'm not reading it with my incorrect preconceived notion of what you meant to say. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.