dilemma between retumbo and H1000

mtnwrunner

Okay, what is the ACTUAL difference between these two powders?? Here is the reason I ask. One of my rifles is a 338 ultra. I'm developing a load for a 225 grain ttsx and am in the early stages. It is shooting a half inch at 100 and sub moa out to 4 hundred with BOTH POWDERS. This particular rifle loves this ttsx bullet. So, is there a particular advantage to one powder or the other? I realize that this is a good problem to be having but I was kind of curious what and if any real differences are between the two. The only thing that I have not done yet is run them through the chrony.

Randy

Retumbo is a tiny bit slower than the H1000, and will give you a bit better case fill at a given pressure level (as a rule).

I think Hodgdon picked up Retumbo just to keep some other company from marketing that formula and eventually eclipsing the H1000.

The two powders are very close to the same animal... again, with H1000 being a tad faster.

Dan

I find retumbo to be quite a bit slower. To the point where i wish they made a powder between the 2. I used to be a big fan of H1000 until i started using Retumbo. Just seems to be more consistent and shoot better in the rifles i have tried it in.

There used to be less difference like green 788 said, but they sped up H1000 a couple years ago.

In my 338 Edge it made about a 5-6 grain differnce in load.

Randy,
My 338 Ultra mag likes the 225 TTSX also, but it likes being driven by 92grs. of H4831SC at 3220 fps. I know LTLR uses Retumbo in his Ultra mag and gets more velocity with the 225's. I have been wanting to try some.
Keep me informed of your results. Good Luck
Tarey

One of my reloading buddies uses H1000 because there is a (apparently considerably)smaller fireball in low light conditions.

Tarey, I'll let you know what the retumbo does----I'll get the chrony out today and see what it says. I also thought about trying 4831sc but after seeing the results of retumbo and H1000, I'm pretty happy.

Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.