Availability of H1000 and Retumbo

Braunschweiger

I've noticed very recently (now that I need more) that H1000 and Retumbo are very hard to find. I live in Missouri within 1 hour of both Midway and Grafs. Called grafs today, Retumbo must not be being made any more, and H1000 out of stock.

I have a 338 Lapua and a 6.5 SAUM in which I was using these powders. Anyone else have any suggestions on equal powders and their availability?

Thanks!

Powder valley has h1000 in stock, I know you might be trying to avoid hazmat fees but I thought I would throw it out there.

Powder valley has h1000 in stock, I know you might be trying to avoid hazmat fees but I thought I would throw it out there.
Gotta do what I gotta do. Thanks for letting me know. Alternatively, I'm going to pursue other similar powders in case those become scarce.

Gotta do what I gotta do. Thanks for letting me know. Alternatively, I'm going to pursue other similar powders in case those become scarce.

I just bought some rl26 to try in my 6.5 saum, I would have done a pressure test yesterday if I didn't leave my barrel sitting on the floor. It's supposed to get better velocity than h1000 but it isn't easy to find. I know several people that like rl33 for the lapua but it's temp sensitive and is supposed to be pretty dirty. I'm running it in my 7-300 norma instead of Retumbo but haven't shot it enough to say whether I like it or not. The velocity is great but my charge from early spring was 100 fps faster yesterday. Some may be from the barrel speeding up since it is getting close to 50 rounds on it but I don't know. I plan on doing more testing when I have time.

I just bought some rl26 to try in my 6.5 saum, I would have done a pressure test yesterday if I didn't leave my barrel sitting on the floor. It's supposed to get better velocity than h1000 but it isn't easy to find. I know several people that like rl33 for the lapua but it's temp sensitive and is supposed to be pretty dirty. I'm running it in my 7-300 norma instead of Retumbo but haven't shot it enough to say whether I like it or not. The velocity is great but my charge from early spring was 100 fps faster yesterday. Some may be from the barrel speeding up since it is getting close to 50 rounds on it but I don't know. I plan on doing more testing when I have time.
I may see what R26 will do for it then. Stinks!

Here's what Grafs currently says regarding Retumbo:

Attachments

• 1C3F8799-53C3-4A93-BD75-B699D5072E5D.png
    1C3F8799-53C3-4A93-BD75-B699D5072E5D.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 730
I ordered H1000 from Powder Valley yesterday because I have found it a bit more accessible...would have preferred Retumbo and would like to try RL26 at some point but starting to build my loads around components that I can get my hands on. Prefer to buy pound or two of powder for development and then when I confirm that is the powder I want to use I buy an 8lb can to keep with the gun.

Worst thing I ever did was find my 28 Nosler load with N570...I have 3lbs of it left but afraid to shoot it for fear I might run out and have to wait a year for more.

May look into Shooters World offerings as well. Need to get my hands on some R26 it seems. I'll try a few of those powders mentioned and see where I'm at. The 338 Lapua is brand new load development, and had heard great things about using Retumbo, so I purchased that. Want to make sure powder is available before I start this off.

I ordered H1000 from Powder Valley yesterday because I have found it a bit more accessible...would have preferred Retumbo and would like to try RL26 at some point but starting to build my loads around components that I can get my hands on. Prefer to buy pound or two of powder for development and then when I confirm that is the powder I want to use I buy an 8lb can to keep with the gun.

Worst thing I ever did was find my 28 Nosler load with N570...I have 3lbs of it left but afraid to shoot it for fear I might run out and have to wait a year for more.

I have a 28 Nosler and have never been able to find VvN570 in stock, I am using RL33 and my rifle loves it, very accurate compared to H1000 and Retumbo. I know people do not like it due to temp instability, however, if one develops a load around the temp you will be hunting, then you should be okay. If you are looking at shooting in the summer, I would think a grain less than the hunting load would work. At least RL33 is widely available and provides the same velocity as N570, maybe give it a try and see how it works for you.

My 338 Lapua is on my AI AXMC, which is merely a target/fun rifle... so I will be shooting it fairly often and all times of the year. I'm in Missouri so temps fluctuate greatly throughout the year.

My 6.5 SAUM on the other hand will only be used in the fall/winter for hunting so that one I suppose I can either horde H1000 or find another powder that's more available.

I have a 28 Nosler and have never been able to find VvN570 in stock, I am using RL33 and my rifle loves it, very accurate compared to H1000 and Retumbo. I know people do not like it due to temp instability, however, if one develops a load around the temp you will be hunting, then you should be okay. If you are looking at shooting in the summer, I would think a grain less than the hunting load would work. At least RL33 is widely available and provides the same velocity as N570, maybe give it a try and see how it works for you.

I have a backup load with 195gr Berger's and RL33 and accuracy wise it was great...the temp sensitivity was an issue but not as much as it was just a dirty powder. If I never would have tried N570 I would probably still be using it.

Going to try the 168 LRX with H1000 and see how it performs.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.