Digital readout preference on your mill, etc.

Bob Wright

So I am getting my Bridgeport Mill ready to be fired up and need to get more serious about finding a good digital Readout for it. Prices out there run unbelievably low to, high with all the scales attachment brackets for $1500.
What are you running that is right by your needs in a gunshop?

Attachments

• 20210620_121602.jpg
    20210620_121602.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 190
  • 20210529_142246.jpg
    20210529_142246.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 103
Bob
First I have to say IMPRESSED with that Mill.
Did you rebuild it yourself?
Had a Bridgeport like that for 30 years and shared it with a friend (almost like a father) he passed away several years ago and his daughter sold it without telling me, also sold the lathe and all the tooling (long story).
We now have a Griz G 0759 with DRO and it is really helpful to get what you want to do. Nothing like the Bridgeport for power and veristically, but can do what we need it for.
Can't help much on aftermarket DROs but there are some good ones out there.
Again real nice MILL (jealous but can't be because that's a sin)
Len & Jill

Bob, my mill is not as pretty as yours, but it's a 1948 M-Head with a 1 hp motor and it's done everything I ask of it.
Anyway, here is my DRO that has ran flawlessly for many years. I'll dig through some paperwork as see where it was purchased. I don't know if your mill had the ways refurbished, but you'll find out when you dial in .0005😳

Attachments

• B32FB173-0E78-4984-8A68-C5B75449EBD4.jpeg
    B32FB173-0E78-4984-8A68-C5B75449EBD4.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 77
  • EFBB366C-FCFC-456D-88A1-EF761025D3F3.jpeg
    EFBB366C-FCFC-456D-88A1-EF761025D3F3.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 58
The cheap ones aren't worth having! Newall magnetic has been my preference as I run coolant at times and glass scales get contaminated and don't last. I'm not beyond using a dial indicator on a magnetic base! The Bridgeports are pretty light and OK for most gun/tool room work. Gimme 5hp+ and a 54" table and I'm a lot happier.

Bob
Had a Bridgeport like that for 30 years and shared it with a friend (almost like a father) he passed away several years ago and his daughter sold it without telling me, also sold the lathe and all the tooling (long story).
We now have a Griz G 0759 with DRO and it is really helpful to get what you want to do. Nothing like the Bridgeport for power and veristically, but can do what we need it for.
Len & Jill
I picked this up from a friend that was shutting down an A/C business. The used it like a drill press. Lol...it was pretty filthy.
I painted it blue for my dad who served in the US Navy on a destroyer.
I have a similar story to yours. That's why this is my second one.
Getting three phase wired up now.

Attachments

• 20220110_160856.jpg
    20220110_160856.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
  • 20220110_160901.jpg
    20220110_160901.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
  • 20210503_074748.jpg
    20210503_074748.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
The cheap ones aren't worth having! Newall magnetic has been my preference as I run coolant at times and glass scales get contaminated and don't last. I'm not beyond using a dial indicator on a magnetic base! The Bridgeports are pretty light and OK for most gun/tool room work. Gimme 5hp+ and a 54" table and I'm a lot happier.
I hogged out an entire 1877 Sharp's receiver on the last one from 4340 heat treated steel. It'll get the job done!

Attachments

• 20210424_133101.jpg
    20210424_133101.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
I picked this up from a friend that was shutting down an A/C business. The used it like a drill press. Lol...it was pretty filthy.
I painted it blue for my dad who served in the US Navy on a destroyer.
I have a similar story to yours. That's why this is my second one.
Getting three phase wired up now.
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't believe it was just used in a A/C business as a drill press, but there are others sitting around collecting dust. Some of the best machines made!

Bob
Len & Jill
I have been eye balling that mill but have been reluctant because some of my benchrest stocks are 23" and some hunting stocks are 20". If I read the spec correctly, isn't that just 18 7/8" longitudinal travel, how do you handle that? Cut one side flip stock around and cut other?

Thanks.

I have been eye balling that mill but have been reluctant because some of my benchrest stocks are 23" and some hunting stocks are 20". If I read the spec correctly, isn't that just 18 7/8" longitudinal travel, how do you handle that? Cut one side flip stock around and cut other?

Thanks.
Well good question. The stocks we currently have since just got this Mill in the spring of 2021, are just under 19" for the action and barrel channel so not a problem. (McMillan XIT). I don't foresee any issue with a longer stock and flipping it. With the DRO it is easy to set up. For the price we paid and what we need it for we liked this one for the options it has. To get a few inches more travel is almost double todays price for a new Griz Mill. I am sure that if you look at Used equipment sites you can possibly find an older SB, Bridgeport that may be old, but in great working condition. I missed out on some deals where the Mill, Lathe looked beat, but only cosmetics. New Paint job and cleaning saved you $$$$.
We bought this model G0759 last year for around $2,300 to the door. Got a great deal from Griz.
This model now is a little over $3,195 (- 5% sale) + $189 ship & Tax from Griz.
US Tool Depot has the same price but talk to Chris Stone-Owner and he may give you a deal and no tax. If you need any equipment, try them. We bought several lathes and saws from US Tool. Excellent customer service.
If you have other questions send me a PM and we can talk.
Thanks
Len

I've had a Mitutoyo DRO on my Bridgeport for 25+ years. Stays on most of the time. Occasionally I get an error message and I blow off the scales and reset the unit. It's a plain Jane counter but has served me well.

I have three machines set up with Touch-DRO bluetooth systems.
You can use any scales with them, depending on your budget and accuracy requirements.
Chicom glass scales are still pretty inexpensive (Fleabay)- $75-$100 per axis. If you use coolant, magnetic as mentioned above are a better choice. Magnetic scales can also be cut to length (glass cannot), but they're much more expensive than glass.

With Touch-DRO you can use any bluetooth android tablet in the size you desire for a display (I use 7" tablets).
Don't want to buy a tablet? Use your Android phone...

We use to use Stevens plate that had lots of holes for dowel pins so one could do that. Fabricators use similar for jig welding chassis. I don't think you need that kind of precision but you could use the T nut slots in 3 places with small locators to establish a centerline to rest a stock fixture against those and flip it around.

Well good question. The stocks we currently have since just got this Mill in the spring of 2021, are just under 19" for the action and barrel channel so not a problem. (McMillan XIT). I don't foresee any issue with a longer stock and flipping it. With the DRO it is easy to set up. For the price we paid and what we need it for we liked this one for the options it has. To get a few inches more travel is almost double todays price for a new Griz Mill. I am sure that if you look at Used equipment sites you can possibly find an older SB, Bridgeport that may be old, but in great working condition. I missed out on some deals where the Mill, Lathe looked beat, but only cosmetics. New Paint job and cleaning saved you $$$$.
We bought this model G0759 last year for around $2,300 to the door. Got a great deal from Griz.
This model now is a little over $3,195 (- 5% sale) + $189 ship & Tax from Griz.
US Tool Depot has the same price but talk to Chris Stone-Owner and he may give you a deal and no tax. If you need any equipment, try them. We bought several lathes and saws from US Tool. Excellent customer service.
If you have other questions send me a PM and we can talk.
Thanks
Len
I picked this one up for $1k with all toe clamps, vise, rotary table, bunch of cutters and collets. Just needed a little dusting and paint.
Still don't know which wires from the spindle motor are line 1, 2 or 3. It's 3 phase and my phase converter is up and running except for the spindle motor. I got to find "that guy"....
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't believe it was just used in a A/C business as a drill press, but there are others sitting around collecting dust. Some of the best machines made!
Bob, my mill is not as pretty as yours, but it's a 1948 M-Head with a 1 hp motor and it's done everything I ask of it.
Anyway, here is my DRO that has ran flawlessly for many years. I'll dig through some paperwork as see where it was purchased. I don't know if your mill had the ways refurbished, but you'll find out when you dial in .0005😳
Nice!!!! Got to find me an ex Honeywell mechanic for a few things. Electric supply questions too....